Friday, June 26, 2020


ASK FOR LITTLE …

Today’s blog starts out with a pet peeve I have about men.  I will only use one or the blog would be way tooooooo long.

MEN – LISTEN UP--- When your spouse or your children ask you, “What would you like for your birthday/Father’s Day/Christmas?” GIVE THEM AN ANSWER!!!  I am so tired of hearing, “Oh, you don’t need to get me anything.”  That answer is right.  They do not need to, but they want to.

For goodness sakes, do you realize the joy you are taking away from others?  Picture your loved one being a balloon, all excited about giving you a gift, but they want it to be something you would like.  When you answer, “Oh, you don’t need to get me anything.” it is like taking a pin and popping that balloon. 

Flip it around.  Do you enjoy finding just the right gift for your mother, father, spouse, child, or friend?  I bet you do.  And I bet you can hardly wait for them to open it.  You want to see the look in their eyes.  You want to see the smile on their face.  Why do you take the joy of giving away from those you love?  And do not give me the macho routine. 

EVERYONE – LISTEN UP --- When God asks you, “Which of my gifts will help you?” ---

“Mary, so you think men are taking joy away from others when they tell them not to get them anything?”

Yes I do.  I have had this conversation with hubby for years.  I have tried to explain …

“Along that line, Mary, have you ever taken my joy away?”

Not that I remember.  I want every gift you have for me.  I really like the eternal life one!!

“I do believe your memory is a bit fuzzy.  What about when you have had surgeries?”

Hey, anesthesia and I do not get along.  I have a right to be afraid!

“Oh, Mary, did you come to me or did you take away my joy by trying to handle your fear on your own?”

I seem to remember…

“Mary.”

I kept my fear. 

“You and I have something in common.  You want men to quit taking joy away when someone wants to give them a gift.  I want my children to quit taking my joy away when I want to give them a gift.”

Do you suppose we could have a conversation where you are not always right?

“Mary you are quite the creation.  I think I need to take a look and see if there was a design flaw…”

What? 

“Just kidding.  I have so much I want to give my children – give you – and so often I hear, “I don’t need that.  I got this.”  My joy slips away as I watch the world not use wisdom and faith.  My joy slips away as I see my Word gathering dust instead of being used.  My joy slips away as people do not use my gifts of hope and love and mercy.  My joy slips away as people do not use my gifts of forgiveness and compassion.”

My memory is better.  I am sorry that I have been so stupid.  I guess I am as bad as the men.  Tell you what – I WANT IT ALL!  BRING ON THE GIFTS!  ENRICH MY LIFE WITH EVERY BLESSING! 

“One more thing.  Next time you are afraid, read Psalm 34:4.  The situation will be there, but the fear?  Mary, I got this.”

----------------------------------

It is so easy to suck the joy out of life.  And, it is easy to suck the joy out of other’s lives.  The joy of giving is a real thing.  You want to allow your loved ones and friends to have the joy of giving?  Tell them what you want.  Tell them something:  a special candy bar or a book or a game or a trip or maybe time with them.  Give them the opportunity to have joy.  And humbly receive their gift.

Instead of telling God, “I got this.”  Tell God what will help you get through this day or this second.  Give God the joy of saying, “I have that right here.  You give me great joy by allowing me to give you this gift.”  And humbly receive God’s gift.

No comments: