Friday, August 14, 2020

ARE YOU DOING WHAT YOU ARE TOLD?

Church was about to start as one gentleman walked in.  Hubby asked him, “Are you doing what you are told?” 

ARE YOU DOING WHAT YOU ARE TOLD?

How would you respond to this question?  Oh you want to know how I would respond.

I would answer, “Of course I do.”  I see the look on your face.  You do not quite believe that do you?  You would be right.   In my defense, there are way too many people telling me what to do. 

When I look back, I realize I have never liked being told what to do.  My attitude got me on the wrong side of the paddle a few times.  More than a few times.  My firm belief that speed limits are suggestions has gotten me on the wrong side of a ticket or two.  I am having trouble with all the Covid restrictions. 

ARE YOU DOING WHAT YOU ARE TOLD?

I love this man’s answer.  He replied, “It depends on who is telling me what to do.”

Guess this leads to another question: Whom do I obey?  Obey?  That is a tough word.

OBEY: To follow commands or guidance, conform to or comply with

We have already established that I did not always obey my parents (Remember those paddling’s I mentioned?) nor do I always obey the speed limit (Remember those tickets I mentioned?).  I also have a bit of trouble conforming and complying.  If someone commands me to do something, it is probably not going to end well.  That leaves guidance.  Even that can be a slippery slope.

Bill and I did not have obey in our vows.  I tell everyone I promised to love, honor and keep it on the top half (He does not like it if the fuel tank gets below half.), but our vows were to love, honor and cherish.  We do love and honor each other.  For sure, we cherish each other.  We take care of each other.  He even learned to cook and clean toilets when I was off my feet for eight weeks.  I have helped deliver calves and fed cattle.  He sweeps the floor.  I navigate when we travel.  Heck, in the beginning he cancelled out my Republican vote, but has since seen the light.  We do not always agree, but it would be boring if we did. 

Our marriage is based upon love for each other, submitting when the needs of one are stronger than the needs of the other, and united as one when we make decisions.  But obey?  That is one word that does not fit our relationship.  Obey would mean that one of us would have control over the other.  When one has control, marriage is no longer a mutual relationship. 

This brings me back to the question:  Whom do I obey?  That has an easy answer!  GOD!

(Moses to all Israel) Obey the LORD your God and follow his commands and decrees that I give you today.     Deuteronomy 27:10

(LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says) but I gave them this command:  Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people.  Walk in obedience to all I command you, that it may go well with you.     Jeremiah 7:23

We find our way to the Father through Jesus.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.  If you really know me, you will know my Father as well.  From now on, you do know him and have seen him”     “If you love me, keep my commands.  Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me.  The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”     John 14:6, parts of 16-21 

ARE YOU DOING WHAT YOU ARE TOLD?

“Hey Mary.  So are you doing what you are told?”

My goodness.  You said, “Hey Mary.” instead of me having to call you first.

“The question, Mary.  Are you?”

Am I doing what you tell me?  Do I obey and walk in obedience?  I sure do!  Well, I am trying.  I am working on it.  It is hard to obey.  Okay.  I fail miserably.  

“I got you, my child.  I have already told my Father about you.”

Oh.  That is a bit scary.  I am trying to obey but did you really mean that part about paying your taxes?

 -   - - - - - - - - - - - -

This brings me back to the question:  Whom do I obey?  That has an easy answer!  GOD!  I obey of my own freewill because I want to be God’s people.  I want to be His child!  I believe Jesus is the Son of God and I want him to introduce me to the Father. 

WHOM DO YOU OBEY?

No comments: