Friday, August 21, 2020

 DIDN’T SEE THIS COMING

I knew what I wanted to be when I graduated from high school.  I wanted to be an airline stewardess!  I was going to study French and fly international.  Then I met this guy and my plans changed.  How I saw my future changed.

We got married and had two children.  Life happens.  Jobs end.  Families move.  The vision of my future changed often.

I always had a vision of what life was going to be.  No!  I have never worn a pair of rose colored glasses and I have never thought life would be all wrapped in shiny paper and tied with a beautiful bow.  I am very realistic and I am very adaptable, but I also know life is not supposed to be as it is now and I think that is why we are all having trouble comprehending our future.  We did not see this coming. 

Graduating seniors had a vision for their future.  They would carry on the time honored traditions:  Prom – Graduation Parties – Graduation – One last summer of fun – Off to college or to begin a chosen career.  Then life happened and the vision disappeared.  They had to change their vision of the future and had no idea how to do that. 

Grandparents had a vision for their future.  Most people in nursing or retirement homes have changed the vision of their future many times.  I am sure, though, each vision included family and grand or great-grandchildren.  Then life happened and the vision disappeared.  Sadly, many were left with a hole in their lives they did not know how to fill.

All of us had a vision of our future.  Some contemplated retirement, while others were working to receive a promotion.  Some sent children to school, while others turned in after working the third shift.  Some planted a garden, while others sat back and had a glass of wine.  (That would be hubby doing the garden and me having the wine.)  And we all knew what was on the calendar for tomorrow.  Then life happened and the vision disappeared.  With no vision, how do we plan?

If you noticed, I used changed and disappeared.  The vision or dream or desire, of our future, can change and often does.  Sometimes, the change is one we willing make.  Sometimes, the change is not one we want, but we adapt.  Both of these are based on what we expect to happen.  Graduation came, but we knew what to expect.  We got older, but we had been told getting old is not for sissies.  We knew what to expect.  Even the changes we adapt to came with an expected outcome.  Cancer can be defeated.  Diabetes can be controlled.  Children will leave home and empty nest is an opportunity not a time to put on sack cloth and ashes.  The heart will continue to beat, even when it has been broken.  With each of these, we knew what to expect because others had been through it.  We knew what to expect and could change our vision of our future.

But what happens when a vision just…just disappears?  What is tomorrow going to hold?  We do not know!  How do we cope when the things we took for granted are pulled out from under us?  We do not know!  I no longer have control of my future plans, even my daily plans.  What now?  What next?  We do not know! 

I feel like tomorrow has been snatched away.  And a vision of my future is blurry.

                                                                -------------------

I rarely write a “downer” blog, because I am not a “downer” person.  I can get angry at a situation, but I face the situation full on and, if it is something I am passionate about, I will not let up.  I might get down on myself, but that does not last too long.  I give myself five minutes – ten tops – and then tell myself, “Suck it up and get over it.”  I see the glass half full.  But, the last few months are even getting to me.  My vision of the future is blurry, BUT….

five minutes – ten tops – I take a breath and realize my vision might be blurry but Jesus can restore my vision.  I want to be like the blind men in Matthew 9:27. 

As Jesus went on, I followed him, calling out, “Have mercy on me, Son of David!”

 

Jesus went indoors, but I went inside also.  He asked me, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?”

 

“Yes, Lord,” I replied.

 

Then he touched my eyes and said, “According to your faith let it be done to you”; and my sight was restored.  Jesus warned me sternly, “See that no one knows about this.”  But I am telling all of you and want you to spread this around the world.

THE VISION OF YOUR FUTURE HAS NOT BEEN DESTROYED!

WHEN YOU ARE BLINDED BY WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE WORLD,

JESUS CAN RESTORE YOUR SIGHT.

HE WILL OPEN YOUR VISION.

If you are feeling like your today and your tomorrow are being destroyed, give yourself five minutes – ten tops – then call out, “Have mercy on me, Son of David!”  When Jesus asks, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?, answer, “Yes, Lord.”

No comments: