Friday, May 14, 2021

SOWING THE SEED

Last week, I used this parable as an example:

“A farmer went out to sow his seed.  As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up.  Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil.  It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow.  But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root.  Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants.  Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop – a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.  Whoever has ears, let them hear.”  Matthew 13:1-9

Jesus later explained the parable to the disciples.

“Listen then to what the parable of the sower means:  When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart.  This is the seed sown along the path.  The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy.  But since they have no root, they last only a short time.  When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.  The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful.  But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it.  This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what is sown.”  Matthew 13:18-23

This tells what happens when people hear the message about the kingdom, but how does this apply to me?  Am I the one sowing the seeds?  Am I the seed and this is a warning about how I might react to the message?  Am I the bird, the sun, the thorn, or the good soil to other people?

I hate it when I over-think something, but hubby and I were discussing this and my mind took off in three directions.  Studying the scriptures is just that – studying.  Reading, contemplating, and looking up background information is my usual plan of attack.  Sometimes I just let the scripture speak to me.  This is one of those times and it is coming from three directions.

AM I THE ONE SOWING THE SEEDS?

If I am not, then I need to get my act together.  The disciples were learning so they could tell others.  They were getting insider information to prepare them to – guess what – tell others.  They would soon be the “farmer” sowing the seed.  They were also being told to be aware what could happen to the seed. I am also being told what can happen to the seed I sow.  It is easy to get discouraged. If I quickly tell a person about the showers of blessing, but do not stick around to help them understand, Satan can whisper in their ear.  How wonderful to see someone get it and experience the Joy of the Lord, but that joy can quickly disappear if they do not see my joy and receive encouragement.  Sowing the seed is especially hard to someone who is worried or does not see the need to believe.  But, then a seed falls just right.  I tell the story of Christ and the person’s ears, eyes, and Spirit are opened and they tell someone and they tell someone and they tell someone…

If I am not sowing the seeds, I need to get my act together.

AM I THE SEED?

Yes.  I am the seed along the path.  Sometimes I hear or read the scriptures and do not understand.  No matter how I try, it does not make sense.  Very easily that ole sneaky snake can whisper, “Mary, you are not educated enough.  You are not smart enough to understand.  Why beat yourself up.  Just quit.”  I am the seed on rocky ground and in the thorns.  There are times when I hear a sermon or a song or a verse and my Spirit soars.  Then the mail comes and there are bills to pay and the news tells of another missing child and I burnt the grilled cheese sandwiches.  And then my joy is gone.  I am the seed dropped on good soil.  I hear the story of Christ and my ears, eyes, and Spirit are opened. 

Yes.  I am the seed along the path.  I know the evil one will try to snatch my faith.  I know I have to stand strong so the world will not consume me.  And I have to stay in the Word so I can tell others and increase the yield of believers of Christ.

AM I THE BIRD, THE SUN, THE THORN OR GOOD SOIL?

I would rather not look at this part.  I so want to believe I am good soil.  I want to know that from the top of my head to the bottoms of my feet I am good soil.  But – don’t you hate the word but?  But I am the bird when my actions do not reflect Christ and non-believers use those actions as proof that my faith is not real.  But I am the sun when I do not want “that type of person” to enter the church and they wither.  I am the thorn when I discourage new ideas. 

I would rather not look at this part.  I so want to believe I am good soil.  I want to know that from the top of my head to the bottoms of my feet I am good soil.  But, sometimes …. sometimes, I am not.

------------------------------------

This is an excellent parable.  Read it.  Read it again.  What does this parable say to you?

No comments: