Friday, June 18, 2021

THE WHOLE BOOK

Have you ever testified in court?  You have to raise your hand and swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.  You no longer have to say, “So help me God.” 

Our son-in-law sent a scripture, Hebrews 6:4-6, and said it was confusing and he had never noticed this verse before.  I told him I would look it up.  I also told him I had the same thing happen to me on a verse about Noah. 

How could I have missed it?  All the times I had read about Noah.  All the times I had heard about Noah.  And yet, someone posted on Facebook that Noah did not shut the door to the ark.  What?  If not Noah, then who?

Genesis 7:16 The animals going in were male and female of every living thing, as God had commanded Noah.  Then the LORD shut him in.

Now doesn’t that beat all?  I always pictured Noah and family pulling and struggling to get that door shut and here the LORD did it.  Bet the LORD didn’t struggle!  Bet the door started up and firmly shut.  Bet Noah was glad!

How could I have missed this?  Sometimes, parts of the Bible are so familiar we rush through them.  We do not ponder them.  And we miss the image of the LORD tucking Noah, his family, and the animals into the ark as if He was tucking his children into bed.

But why do things in the Bible confuse us?

Let’s be honest.  The Bible can be very.. very confusing.  Sometimes it does not make sense.  Sometimes no matter how often we read a passage, we do not understand it.  We cannot figure it out.  I did look into the verses our son-in-law referenced and sent him a few notes.  Then I told him to read the verses before and after. 

Hebrews 6:4-6 is scary.  It sounds like it is impossible for those once enlightened and fallen away to be brought back to repentance.  They are compared to worthless land which only produces thorns and thistles, they are in danger of being cursed, and they will be burned.  Oh my.  Oh my.  No hope.  No hope.  This is very scary because I have “been enlightened” and I still sin.  Am I in danger of being cursed?  Am I nothing more than thistles and thorns?

(Pretend you are listening to a TV infomercial.)  BUT WAIT!  The next verses offer hope.  Verse 9 - 12 Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are convinced of better things in your case – the things that have to do with salvation.  God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.  We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hope for may be fully realized.  We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

The next verses get even better.  Read them when you have time.

When the scripture is confusing or scary or does not make sense, read all the verses involved.  You might have to read a whole chapter or two or even a whole Book to understand one single verse.  You might even have to read it twice.  Or three times.  You also have an excellent resource called the Minister/Pastor/Preacher.  Do not be afraid to ask questions.

I closed my note to my favorite son-in-law this way:

Don’t ya love the Bible?  It is all of life in one place:  mystery, romance, questions, answers, great grief, great joy, and salvation.  And it takes a lifetime to understand it.

Keep reading.  Keep discovering.  Keep asking questions.  Keep finding answers.

No comments: