Friday, August 13, 2021

 WHO IS AT THE DOOR?

Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council.  He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God.  For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”   John 3:1-2

Pastor Larry commented that he though Nicodemus was trying to “butter up” Jesus to get on his good side.  He then wondered what Nicodemus, who comes at night, would say if Jesus knocked on his door.

“Mary, were you surprised at the answers your Sunday School class gave when you asked them what they would do if Jesus knocked on their door?”

Yes.  They all said they would open the door.  They must all know where their Bible is.

“If I had a dollar for every time someone used the example of trying to find their Bible before they opened the door, I would be rich.

What would you do?”

Well …

“It is not a hard question Mary.  What would you do if Jesus knocked on your door?”

Well …

“Mary, Jesus has seen dust.”

Oh great.  Now everyone will be asking me if I have dusted lately!

“Would you open the door?”

How would I know it was him and not someone trying to scam me?

“Didn’t the class answer that?”

They said my Spirit would know it was Jesus, but, when he was a kid, Duane said Jesus came to their door and looked like a hungry stranger.  Will I know?

“Trust me.  You will know.  But didn’t the Pastor wonder what Nicodemus would say to Jesus?  What would you say?”

I would say, “I am sorry.”

----------------------------------

Note:  You need to know that, when Pastor Larry wondered what Nicodemus would say, I wrote I AM SORRY on my bulletin.  Those words came to me in a rush and are not words I picked to make a point in this blog.  To be honest, after saying that I would most likely start jabbering.

“Mary, you jabber a lot.”

What?  Hey, watch it.  I can shut my computer down.  I can turn you off.

“Go ahead.  I will still be here.  I am always here, so jabber away.”

If you insist.  Thank you for the rain.  And could you please help all the people on the prayer list?  By the way, the sweet corn was delicious this year.  I am going off for a girl’s weekend, so if you could turn down the heat a bit, I would greatly appreciate it.  Oh, and watch over all the kids starting back to school.  And …..

No comments: