Friday, August 20, 2021

 

VISITORS

At coffee, the question was asked:  How do churches recognize visitors?  Do they give out gift bags?  Do nothing? 

The first reply was, “Speak to them and welcome them to church.”  Well, duh, that was the obvious answer.  We soon realized this question was more complicated than it seemed.  Why?  Glad you asked.

Have you ever visited a church where they asked, “Do we have any visitors this morning?  Hold your hand up so we can see you.”  This simple routine can cause some to be very uncomfortable.

  • Some people are shy.  Having never been to this church before, they wanted to sneak in, listen, and go on their way.  Being told to hold up their hand can be traumatic. 

Of course the greeters will recognize visitors.  Maybe not. 

  • Some people are members, but have not been to church for so long no one recognizes them.  This can cause embarrassment all around.

Asking for that hand to go up or greeters pointing out visitors is often followed by the ushers bringing around gift bags with information and a sports bottle, proudly featuring the church logo.

The gift bag can also be an issue.  I am sure it took a committee at least one meeting or maybe three or four, to finalize what is in the bag.

  • General church information
  • Presenting our staff
  • A welcome gift
  • A map of the church (Note:  This is one I would not have thought of, but makes sense.  A map and a contact to receive a tour of the church would be of great benefit to those that would like to come again.

Some suggestion from around the coffee table:

  • Make it personal – At least get their first name and use their name at least once.  If your church has multiple services, a way to phrase your first remark might be, “Hello, I do not remember seeing you at this service.  My name is ___.”  If your church only has one service, you can say, “Hi.  I don’t think we have been introduced.  My name is _____.”  These simple statements will work for visitors or members who rarely attend.

  • Do not have the speaker/lay leader/elder ask for a show of hands.  Instead, welcome visitors and point out where they can find information or suggest they speak to an usher for answers to specific questions.  A biggie is to have that information available!!  Make sure there are always information packets or gifts bags where they should be.  You do not want to say, “Oh.  I guess we are out.  I will tell the committee.  Come back next week and I am sure they will be ready.”

  • Do not be pushy.  There is a difference between welcoming and being pushy.  Welcoming is friendly and simple.  Pushy is signing them up for a committee, Sunday School, and membership class on their first visit.  Welcoming might see them in the pews the next Sunday.  Pushy will cause them to never darken the doors again. 

  • Remember, you might have your favorite pew or chair.  That sweet spot where you can see the minister and stretch out your legs, but a visitor does not know that.  News flash:  It will not kill you to sit in another location.  It is not just a story on Facebook.  In the real world, there have been people visiting and were quickly told, “That is my seat.  Please move.”  I can guarantee you where I would have moved.  Yup.  Right out the door.

  • One not discussed, but one that is important to remember:  Visitors are not familiar with the service.  Every church has its own quirks and churches must realize they are not a fit for everyone.  The church where I attend likes to laugh.  In another church, those straight-laced, sour faced people will glare at you for daring to laugh in church.  For them, church is serious.  Help visitors feel comfortable by asking if they have any questions about the service.

  • All of these are extremely important to remember for people who might be coming to the church as new believers.  They will feel lost from the moment they walk in the door.  And think how hard that was!  Picture them standing there, not knowing what was going to take place.  Maybe not knowing a single person.  Are they nervous?  As new believers they do not know what to expect or even how to find scriptures.  Think how anxious they are until one person walks over and says, “Hi.  Welcome to our church.  Is there anything I can help you with?”

- - - - - - - - - - -

The question was asked:  How do churches recognize visitors?  We soon realized this question was more complicated than it seemed.  Or is it? 

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Matthew 25:34-41

The way we recognize them, with a gift bag or information pamphlet, might be complicated but the action is easy ---

WE INVITE THEM IN!

No comments: