Friday, December 17, 2021

 

THE FOURTH SUNDAY OF ADVENT:  LOVE

Love – Finding love in the Christmas story is a piece of cake! 

No one knows if Mary and Joseph were “in love” when they were pledged to be married.  I think it is safe to assume Mary loved Joseph by the time Jesus was born.  How could she not?  He took her into his home even after finding out she was pregnant.  He was there for her – and that is love!

Joseph took Mary home as his wife because an angel told him to.  Did he love her then?  We do not know, but we know he was an honorable man who obeyed an angel sent with a message from God.  Joseph had no union with her until after Jesus was born.  He respected Mary.  Joseph took Mary and Jesus to Egypt to keep them safe.  He took care of them.  Joseph was there as Jesus grew and became strong.  Joseph saw Jesus become filled with wisdom and the grace of God.  He was there – and that is love!

LOVE

I looked up the meanings of hope, peace, and joy.  I gave up on a meaning for love.  My goodness, there are books and books and articles and articles on the subject.  They all seem to go in different directions.  Scholars will tell you the meaning in Greek, Latin, and Hebrew.  Scholars can sometimes be way too scholarly. 

The word love is applied to everything today.  I love cheesecake.  I love sunrises.  I love my neighbor.  I love my car.  I love my church.  I love …  I love … I love.  And of course, I love my family and friends.  A lifetime could be spent researching the word and the emotion.  You might be thinking, “I wonder how Mary would describe love.”

Well, since you were thinking that, I will answer your question.  I think love is a gift we give away.  If we have love and we hold onto it, it is worthless.  It is only when love is given away that it has value.

LOVE

Mary and Joseph gave the gift of love to a child. 

Love held onto is worthless… ahhh .. BUT love given as a gift opens our heart and we are blessed with an emotion that cannot be described in any language.  The gift of love can be given in the simple act of holding a hand.  Or listening.  Or doing the dishes.  Or comforting a scared child.  Or by …….

….. by sending your Son.

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given,

and the government will be on his shoulders.

And he will be called

WONDERFUL COUNSELOR,

MIGHTY GOD,

EVERLASTING FATHER,

PRINCE OF PEACE.


Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end.

Isaiah 9:6-7


No comments: