Friday, July 22, 2022

 RANDOM THOUGHTS

RANDOM THOUGHT ONE

The Pastor sent out the hymns to be used this Sunday and one of them I had not heard.  I listen to contemporary Christian music, but somehow missed Firm In The Faith, by John Burland.  The song can be found here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vncrehvy2w

As the song played, I heard wonderful phrases: 

  • Planted firm in the faith
  • Jesus, we are yours today
  • We walk side by side together

but then, I heard:

            Your Cross it bears my name

NO!!!  I do not want to hear that.  I do not want to hear that my name is on the Cross.  That would mean … that would mean Jesus ---

YES!!!  I do want to hear that.  My name is on the Cross.  Jesus loved me so much, before I was even born and before I could commit my first sin that he died and arose so I could be forgiven. 

Now doesn’t that just beat all?  Yup!  My name is on the Cross. 

RANDOM THOUGHT TWO

Our first 2022 sweet corn was put on our plates this week.  Oh, nothing like a good ole roastnear (or for you northern people:  corn on the cob), with lots of butter and salt.  One bite and the butter would be dripping down your chin.  There are those that eat from one end of the cob to the other.  Some eat round and round.  And neat freaks cut the corn off and eat it with silverware.  I feel so sorry for those folks.  They have no idea what they are missing.  Corn stuck in your teeth.  At least three napkins to keep the butter wiped off the chin.  Nope, I want a roastnear!! 

Growing up, there were four of us kids.  We would sit at the picnic table, which was set with plates, at least two sticks of butter, and salt.  Then we would wait.  Mom would come out the door with a really big pan.  She would set the pan on the table and jump back.  Hands flew into that pan as if we were starving.  Ears were quickly placed on plates and the last one to get the butter – they pouted.  My mother was a wise women and the pan of corn always contained the correct number of ears.  There would be no, “She got one more ear than I did.”  What was so great about eating at the picnic table?  The dishes were rinsed as the table was hosed off and any kernel of corn that did not end up in a tummy ended up in the grass.  Remember the butter dripping down the chin?  The hose was usually turned on us kids next.  Know what?  We didn’t care. 

 RANDOM THOUGHT THREE

Once my mind travelled back to the corn, it has stayed there.  At least for a bit.  Today I told Pastor Larry about paying bills … back in the day.  Mom would put the bill and cash in an envelope and off I would go to town.  Off to town barefooted.  I hated wearing shoes.  Anyway, off I would go to the electric company, the phone company, and wherever else she sent me.  For all of this effort, I received – drum roll – 25 cents.  Yup.. a whole quarter.  But that quarter bought a crème horn at the bakery.  Oh, the taste --- was not quite what I remembered when I tried one as an adult.  I had forgotten how overly sweet they were.  Set my tongue on edge.  Sorta like eating a Twinkie.  A treat to a four year old.  Total gross to an adult.

RANDOM THOUGHT FOUR

I was going to stop at three but I am on a roll so will add one more.  If you have heard this, sorry.  You get to hear it again.  Fast forward from that barefooted girl walking all over town to a proud owner of a driver’s license.  “Mary, would you pay bills for me.  You can drive,” my mom said.  Well, what 16 year old is going to pass up an opportunity like that?  Off to town I went.  I parked the car.  I paid the bills.  I went home.

That is when my mother asked, “Did you forget something?”  I thought, shook my head no, and said, “No.  I paid all the bills.”

It was then that my mother, bless her heart, suggested I should look in the driveway.  I walked back to town, got in the car, and drove home.

Random thoughts:  The End

Have a blessed week.

No comments: