Friday, July 29, 2022

 GLOVES AND A HAT

Bill often prefaces his remarks with, “My mother would be rolling over in her grave.”  This conversation happens on Sundays and I usually agree with him.

“My mother would be rolling over in her grave,” begins hubby, “if she saw how we are dressed to go to church.”

And she probably is.  Going to church meant putting on your best dress, hose, dress shoes, a hat, and gloves.  It did not matter that she was headed to a small, rural church.  She dressed in the proper attire.  She would be shocked to see people going to church in jeans and shorts and, heaven forbid, no hat and gloves.

Then there is Sunday dinner (dinner being the noon meal, not to be confused with supper the evening meal).  Sunday dinner was meat, potatoes, and green beans, with a desert that was prepared Saturday and NOT touched until Sunday.  She would be shocked that we eat out most Sundays (eating out was a luxury back then), but would absolutely faint if she saw us eating grilled cheese and chips or a salad and left over pizza from the freezer.  Those would not be good enough for Sunday dinner.

Sunday is SUNDAY!! 

Yes, Sunday is SUNDAY and it should be a day of worship, but that worship should not be linked to anyone’s attire (I am not saying that anything goes.) or what is for Sunday dinner.  Jesus did not stop the poor woman, who gave two mites, from entering the synagogue.  I am sure many would stare at her and think she was not “properly dressed.”  We are to go before God with our best ... but the question is:  Our best what?

God does want our best.

“That’s right Mary.  I do want your best.”

You are reading over my shoulder aren’t you?  You want me to dress up for church?  You know I have never been a real dressy person.

“I do want your best, but it has nothing to do with clothes.  I want your best attitude.”

Best attitude?  I always have a good attitude.

“Really?  I want you to come to worship with the proper attitude, preferable a positive attitude.  When you come with a negative attitude, you will always leave with something to complain about.”

Positive attitude instead of negative attitude – okay.  What else?

“How about best footing?”

I need new shoes?

“No.  I want you to remember to keep your feet firmly planted on my foundation.  My foundation will make you stand strong when trials arrive.”

Is there anything else I need to bring with me on Sunday morning?

“Let me ask you a question:  Do you hear or do you listen?”

Is this a trick question?  Aren’t they the same?

“No they are not.  You often heard your mother, but did you always listen to her?  You don’t need to answer that.”

No, I do not need to.  You already know the answer.

“I want you to be the best listener.  You can hear the songs and sermon, but do you really listen?  Listening means comprehending what is heard.  A listener will comprehend.  Yes, I want you to give your best at listening.”

Do you have one more?  This blog will get really long if you give me everything I am supposed to do.

“I will give you two more.  I want you to be the best seeker.  Do you honor me by seeking my truth?  If you are the best seeker, you will find knowledge through the Word and gain wisdom.

Finally, I want you to be the best example.  It is easy to be an example for an hour or two on Sunday morning, when in the company of other believers, but what do people see when you walk out the church doors?  Are you an example of your faith on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday?  Can you stay strong clear to next Sunday?”

I have a question.

“You can ask, but the answer is no.  You cannot fulfill your “best obligation” by buying a dress, hose, heels, gloves, and a hat.”

Good to know.  And I will work on being a better example.

“Yes, especially the ..”

How about we keep the stuff I have to work on between you and me?

“Have a great day Mary.”

You too God

No comments: