Friday, May 26, 2023

BUT I LIVED

We ask questions as soon as we can speak a one word sentence: Why?  Children ask question after question.

·       Why is a dandelion yellow?

·       Why do dogs chase their tails?

·       Why do I have to eat my veggies?

·       Why do I have to go to bed?

·       Do you love me?

Parents will try their best to answer the questions, but often resort to, “Go ask your mother/father.”

Many years ago, I took a lay speaker class and had to write a message.  It was titled: WHY ME?  I wondered why I was fortunate enough to see, when others were blind.  Why was I blessed with being a mother, when others have empty arms?  You get the idea.  Now I have another question and I cannot find the answer.

My question comes from two events.  In 1998, I died during a simple gallbladder surgery.  It is not unusual for people to die during surgery, but with today’s technology, people survive heart attacks, strokes, injuries, and gallbladder surgeries.  I always told people, “God wasn’t done with me and the devil didn’t know what to do with me.” But the question remained, “Why did I not stay dead?”

And then — October 2022 — a blood infection — doctors and nurses told me, “We thought you would not survive.”  The question from 1998, that was a speck in the back of my mind, became a boulder.

WHY DID I LIVE?  I have talked to a number of people and found that I am not the only person with this question.  Sam (often in the local pool the same time I am) and I got to talking and I told him about my question.  He got a funny look and then said, “I have the same question.  My heart attack … why ...  now what am I supposed to do?”

We all know people who have died and were revived or people who, against all medical reason, recovered.  Those that I talked to ask the question:  “I lived.  Now what?  What am I supposed to be doing?  Surely there is something new or important I am to do. 

BUT, isn’t this a question we all ask?  What am I supposed to do?

~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~

I started this blog, awake but still in bed, at 6:00 AM, Tuesday, May 23.  I had an appointment so I had to get up, get dressed, and get going.  Finishing the blog would have to wait.  As I was driving, it hit me and my question was answered. 

What am I supposed to do?  What are we all supposed to do?  We are to live!  We are to live right where God put us.  

We are to go to the grandkids games and root for the home team.  We are to volunteer.  We are to go to supper with our loved ones and friends.  We are to go grocery shopping, mow the yard, cook, clean, do laundry, and make the bed.  We are to go to a movie.  We are to eat a cinnamon roll.  We are to walk in the grass and plant flowers.  We are to go to work.  We are to wipe a child’s tears, kiss away the hurt, laugh with them, and read a bedtime story.  We are to worship.  Get the idea?

What are we supposed to do?  We are to live!  BUT we are to live with joy and humility.  We are to be kind and compassionate.  We are to acknowledge the blessings which surround us.  We are to hold others as they grieve and lift them up in prayer.  We are to celebrate babies and birthdays and anniversaries and recoveries.  We are to encourage and support others who are going through trials and accept encouragement and support when we face our trials.  Get the idea?

LIVE!!  THAT IS WHAT WE ALL ARE TO DO.  LIVE - WITH JOY AND KINDNESS AND …….

No comments: