Friday, August 18, 2023

RIVER OF LIFE

I do not understand the Book of Revelation and probably never will.  I am not sure anyone really understands.  There is one part that I go back to and, even with my imagination; the picture in my head is never complete. 

Oh, I love the part about all tears being wiped away and no more death, sorrow, crying or pain.  That is not the part.  To be with the Alpha and Omega is something that stirs my very soul.  That is not the part either.  Jasper.  Gold.  Sapphire.  Topaz.  And pearls big enough to be a gate!  That, also, is not the part.

And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb. 


And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!”  And let him who hears say, “Come!”  And let him who thirsts come.  Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.


Revelation 22:1 and 22:17

I remember, as a kid, a free flowing well on the way to my aunt and uncle’s house.  We carried a collapsible cup, which all six of us drank out of, and always stopped for a drink.  The water was crystal clear, cold and satisfied our thirst. 

On one of our trips, we saw a sign:  The Beginning of the Colorado River.  Well, who wouldn’t want to see that?  We followed the signs.  Then there it was.  The beginning of the mighty river that created the Grand Canyon.  Except it wasn’t so grand.  As a matter of fact, it was a very small amount of water bubbling out of the ground and a trickle of water flowing from there.  The power of water!  From a trickle to a flow to a small stream to a river to a lake to a larger river to joining another river to flowing right into the Gulf of Mexico. 

Waking up early is not the norm for me.  Except when we are by the ocean or the Gulf.  Then, give me a cup of coffee, a balcony, a chair, and I will watch the sun come up.  I will listen to the waves.  I will breath with the tide.  In.  Out.  In.  Out.  And my being will calm and my soul renewed.

And he showed me a pure river of water of life,

clear as crystal,

proceeding from the throne of God

and

of the Lamb.

Even with my imagination the picture in my head is never complete.  Oh, I can picture the water.  I picture raising it to my lips.  What I cannot picture is the throne of God and of the Lamb.  Nothing I have ever seen.  Nothing I have ever felt.  No amount of imagination – can bring the THRONE into focus. 

But one day …. one day .. I will see it.  And I will no longer have to use my imagination.

No comments: