Friday, November 24, 2023

Thanks Giving

Although many families will gather at various times over this weekend, Thanksgiving is over. For the first time we did not celebrate with family. Life steps in and traditions are broken. I did think about things I am thankful for. Here is my list:

I am thankful for the gift of hearing. I cherish the sound of a door opening as a loved one comes home. It means they are safe. The sound of the furnace means we will be warm. I love to be a part of a good conversation, but often silence is what my soul needs.

I am thankful for the gift of touch. I love the feel of a hand gently touching my cheek. The warmth, as I hold a hot cup of coffee, is the way to start my day and the sun on my face, as I watch the waves come and go, makes that coffee even better. I love the feel of turning the pages of a book.

I am thankful for the gift of taste. The sweetness of homemade fudge brings back memories. The saltiness of potato chips is perfect when dipped in chocolate ice cream. The first strawberry is a taste to be savored, but barely beats the first, dripping in butter, roasting ear.

I am thankful for the gift of sight. Watching buffalo is something I could do for hours. Being able to see the colors as God paints the sky is a reminder that our Creator thought of everything. I have seen baby calves stand, on wobbly legs, as they nursed for the first time. I have seen our children seconds after they were pushed into the world.

I am thankful for the gift of smell. I love the smell of leaves burning and the air after a summer storm. The aroma of a good ole, bone-in ham makes me hungry. The best smell of all is .. drum roll .. a baby after a bath.

On this Thanksgiving, I am Giving Thanks for the five senses which God blessed me with.

No comments: