Friday, December 01, 2023

THE 2023 NATIVITY

“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas …”  It is looking more like Christmas.  For me that means the Nativity is sitting for all to see.  We have had this set since 1965.  One sheep has a broken leg and the manger has a repaired leg, but I figure that is pretty good considering it has gone through six moves.

Do you think the setup looks a bit unusual?  Are you wondering, “Why would Mary put flowers around the nativity?”  As I began to set the Nativity in its place, I thought the fall garland looked good.  Besides, it already had lights.  It was going to stay.  The Nativity was in place.  The lights were strung.  (Don’t ya love those battery lights?).  The family, shepherd, and wise men were in place.

Then I looked at a box with some flowers to be stored.  Oh, those pink flowers were pretty.  It was then that the idea hit me.  Why not?  Next I placed some white flowers.  Then the sprigs of pine branches.  I stepped back and looked.  Perfect.  The wise men were having a conference because they were lost.  The shepherd was on his knees before a baby.  Mary and Joseph were beside the manger.  Jesus was lying in the manger.

Do I have you wondering yet?  What idea hit me?

The minute I added those pink summer flowers, the white spring flowers, and the pine branches to the fall garland the Nativity was complete.  You see, Jesus did not come just for Christmas.  He did not come for the lights or the singing or the candy or the presents.  He did not come for us to work ourselves into exhaustion getting ready for a one day, birthday celebration.  No! Jesus came for so much more.  Jesus came to be with us spring, summer, fall, and winter…..  no matter what season of life we are in.

Enjoy the decorating.  Enjoy the lights, singing, presents, and the birthday cake, but remember Jesus will still be here even after the Nativity is put back in the box.


I wonder what meaning I might find in other decorations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good ending to remember!!