Friday, February 09, 2024

RE-BLOG NUMBER TWO:

Friday, February 14, 2014

SILENT

(based on Luke 1:5-25 and 1:57-80)

"Man I sure have a new compassion for those who cannot speak. Nine months without being able to talk seemed like an eternity. Especially when I had such a great story to tell," Zechariah thought as he held his newborn son.

Zechariah, a priest, and his wife Elizabeth were upright in the sight of God. They followed those commandments and regulations. They were content but their family was only two. They had no children. No children until -- Let Zechariah tell you about it.

"I remember it as if it was yesterday. I was burning the incense when an angel appeared. Having an angel pop in on you is a bit out of the ordinary. My mind went from what I might have done wrong to fearing what he would say."

"Then the angel said not to be afraid and my prayer had been heard. Well, I pray a lot so I wasn't sure exactly which prayer he was referring to until he said my wife's name and she would have a baby. A baby?"

"Then I made a mistake. I pointed out to an angel - the angel Gabriel - God's messenger - that Elizabeth and I were a bit old to be having a baby. Gabriel seemed a bit upset with me questioning his good news and informed me I would be silent until after the baby was born. I wish I could pull those words back into my mouth."

Can you picture Zechariah going home and not being able to explain they needed to get busy and prepare a nursery? Can you see the struggle he went through knowing his son would go before the Lord? Can you picture the wonder in his eyes because the angel mentioned Elijah in the same breath as he mentioned his son? But he was silent.

After nine months, Zechariah finally gets to speak, "And you, my child, ……"

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU

Zechariah learned he would become a father and he was to name the child John. He was told the baby would be a joy and a delight and many would rejoice because of his birth. Zechariah had such great news but was silent.

It could happen to you. Do you have good news but remain silent?

There is danger in remaining silent. (You are thinking, "I am not a speaker. I cannot get up in front of people and talk. Speaking is not my talent." Keep reading because this is not about speaking to a group.) When you remain silent, you may cause your family and friends to question your faith. If your faith is not important enough to talk about, it must not be a big part of your life.

Luke could have written a very short, "John was born and prepared the way for Jesus." Instead Luke wrote many verses about Zechariah, Elizabeth and John. Luke wanted his friends, family and all generations to know about John the Baptist. Can you see Luke smiling as he sent this wonderful news to his friends. Can you imagine the joy his friends felt when they read the news Luke had for them? Luke did not remain silent. His message was important.

Zechariah had to be silent for nine months. Nine long months. Months when he could not tell about the glory of God and what was about to happen.

Do you have good news to tell but remain silent? Is your faith important enough to share? Important enough you cannot keep it to yourself?

No comments: