Friday, December 08, 2006

THE FIRST CHRISTMAS LETTER

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

(Mary’s Song) And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me -- holy is his name.
His mercy extends to those who fear him from generation to generation.
He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers.

Luke 1:46-55

THE FIRST CHRISTMAS LETTER

Greetings to all of our family and friends,

This has been some year and I wanted to fill you in. As you know, I became engaged to a fine man, Joseph. The community had been informed about our plans and we were very happy. Then the strangest thing happened.

I was visited by an angel! I know that is hard to believe. I am just a small town girl and was shocked when Gabriel came with a message from God. I was told that I had been picked to carry God’s Son. The angel even told me what to name the baby – Jesus. I was confused at first and could not begin to imagine all the consequences of this announcement. The Holy Spirit came upon me and I conceived.

Joseph was also confused when I told him I was with child. After all, I was a virgin. Why should he believe me? I think he seriously considered walking away, but then an angel told him I was telling the truth. Joseph believed. Joseph understood. Joseph is a good man.

I went to visit my cousin Elizabeth and when I walked in the door, the child she was carrying jumped in her womb. Elizabeth then called me “blessed among women.” Oh what a time we had. Elizabeth was so excited about being with child. Why who would have thought such a thing was possible at her age? Truly a gift from God. She explained that Zachariah could not speak until after the birth. The child she carried was also a son and when the baby was born, Zachariah spoke and said his son would be called John.

Of course, Caesar called for the census and we had to go to Bethlehem. I know this was a hard time on all who had to travel, but being heavy with child made the trip even harder. I was beginning to think we would have to stop along the way until the baby came, but we did make it to Bethlehem. The town was so full there were no rooms. Joseph finally found an innkeeper who would let us have shelter in the stable. Now how could there be no rooms, when I was to give birth to such a special child?

We had just settled into the stable, when I delivered a beautiful baby boy. Then the most unusual things began to happen. The shepherds came. They said angels had told them about the birth of a baby. A special baby. The Christ Child. They fell on their knees and said this was a blessed baby. The Savior they had been waiting for. The one who would love even the lowliest. When Jesus was eight days old, we took him to the temple and a man named Simeon took Jesus in his arms, praised God, and said his eyes had seen God’s salvation. And Anna, a prophetess, gave thanks to God and spoke about my child to all who would hear.

Joseph and I have been fine. Jesus is almost one year old now and it has been a daily wonder to see him grow and learn.

Well, that is my news. What has your year been like?

Mary, Mother of Jesus

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Now how do you top that? If you had received this letter, would you have believed it? What would you put in a letter if you were writing to Mary?

LET US PRAY

Dear Jesus, I am so thankful that you were born. To know that God loved me enough to send His Son to save me makes me want to leap with joy. What a glorious day that was when you were born. Angels proclaiming the news. Never allow the Christmas spirit to leave my heart. Christmas means ………………………………… Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mary for sharing your moments. Your Christmas card and enclosed card with your blog address came at a perfect time.
If I were writing to Mary I would thank her for believing. Sometimes it's hard to believe.
So, I thank you Mary for being a rainbow.

Mary said...

Kathy, Thank you for the comments. Hope you and your family are all doing great. We are still working but keep thinking it might be a good idea to retire in a couple of years. Have a wonderful Christmas. -- Mary