Friday, November 09, 2007

BIRTHDAYS

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: Psalm 139:13-14

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

BIRTHDAYS

Do you love birthdays? I do. When I was a child, we got to pick what we had for supper and dad tried to be home so he could have cake with us. (He drove a truck and we never knew when he would appear and when he would leave.) We did not receive many presents, but birthdays were fun.

Our children never knew what to expect when they had a birthday. I would decorate the whole house and then hide their presents. Or they would have to play a game (Let's Make a Deal or scavenger hunt) to get their gifts. One time our son came home and we handed him a ball of yarn. The yarn was strung all through the house, under beds and in and out of cabinets, with a gift tied in every so often. That was fun. They also got their pick of cake -- peanut butter for our son and our daughter usually picked angel food. There was the one year she wanted chocolate cake, chocolate ice cream and chocolate milk.

My husband is a typical male (sorry for the generalization) and says birthdays are just another day. "Don't get me any gifts. Or cards." But he will always take a birthday pie.

As I write this, I am celebrating a birthday and remembering how much fun we have had over the years. One birthday really stands out -- November 7, 1966. On my 20th birthday, our son was born. What a birthday gift. The best birthday gift I have ever received.

What's amazing is that God already knew this baby. I could feel the baby grow. God had knit this baby for us. I could feel the baby kick. God knew the number of hairs on his head. I saw a beautiful baby boy. God already had plans for him.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

How do you celebrate your birthday? Do you look back and remember the birthdays of your youth? Do you look forward to the birthdays yet to come?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear God, To think that you knew me before I was born. To know that you made me. You know the number of hairs on my head. You have a plan for my life. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. .………………………………… Amen

No comments: