Friday, August 15, 2008

NEEDED -- WATER

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE: John 4:7, 10, 13-14 (Please look up the missing verses)

7 When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, "Will you give me a drink?"
10 Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."
13-14 Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

NEEDED -- WATER

As I sat waiting for our grandson to wake up, I had a talk with God. I pointed out that the yard was getting very dry. That the leaves on the trees were beginning to droop. That the corn and beans, in the fields, were showing signs of drought. I explained all of this. Of course, God loves our conversations. He was probably laughing as he replied, "And you think I don't know this?"

I would hate to be God. This person wants rain. That person is planning a picnic and does not. This person loves the sounds of birds and that person just wishes they would chirp somewhere other than outside their bedroom window. One person wants it to be 90 degrees in the shade and others are saying, "Can you cool it off down here?"

God looks down and sees the person that always has a complaint. Of course, to balance that person out, there is the one who is always cheerful and sees the glass as, not half full, but all the way full. I'm not sure which God finds more annoying. Again, I would not want to be God. I don't like to be around people who always complain, but there are times I want to poke a hole in the bottom of that glass of the eternal optimistic.

Let's get back to the rain. It finally did rain, but a week later. The rain came with the wind and the lightning. Like all rain, it fell when it fell. I could not control the rain.

One kind of water we do not have to wait on. One kind of water is always available. Living Water. It is there. Just waiting for us.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Are you ready to drink of the Living Water?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Giver of Living Water, Thank you for water. Water that falls on this earth and gives it a drink. Water that quenches my earthly thirst. But, oh, how I thirst for a drink of the water you offer. Just as you told the Samaritan woman, "you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." My Dear Jesus, I do know who you are and I do ask for a drink of your water. …… Amen

No comments: