Friday, August 08, 2008

WHAT DO YOU SEE IN A PICTURE OF JESUS?

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: MATTHEW 16:15

"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"

WHAT DO YOU SEE IN A PICTURE OF JESUS?

The Searchers Sunday School class uses the Cokesbury study. Sunday the 27th we had an amazing class - and it had nothing to do with the fact that I was teaching. The lesson was on Jesus, as the Messiah, and asked the question, "Who do you say I am?"

Know all those pictures the children's Sunday School teachers use? I pulled them out and had them spread all over our table. We talked briefly and then everyone picked two pictures. Two pictures that "spoke" to them. That is when the discussions really started!

We heard: This picture shows Jesus is accessible. This one shows Jesus at peace. This one shows Jesus in anguish and stressed. Look how Jesus includes everyone - men, women, children, no matter the age or color of skin. This picture shows Jesus praying. This one shows him listening to God. Here he is a child learning and here he is teaching children. Oh, in this one he has outstretched hands. Look at the smile. The eyes - look at the eyes. You can see the compassion.

Around and around the table the worship and praise continued: Here he is a young boy. Jesus was human. He felt everything we feel and he knows how we feel. There was the picture of Jesus in the temple, learning from the priests and then teaching the priests. Is there a picture of Jesus as the shepherd? You know, the one where he has the sheep over his shoulder.

Can you tell I am still excited about this particular Sunday? In that room, each of us was blessed by the conversation. I do not know about the rest of the class, but I will never forget the way Jesus was described because those descriptions told His story.

The question, "Who do you say I am?" was spoken to the disciples. They needed to know who Jesus truly was. It was going to be their job to tell others.

That question is asked of each of us. We are the disciples now. It is our job to tell others.

How do you answer? ----- "Who do you say I am?"

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

What is your favorite picture of Jesus? Why?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

"You are Christ, the Son of the living God." Oh, my Lord, I do believe this. I believe this from the top of my head to the end of my toes. I feel your Holy Spirit confirming this. The Spirit that fills every cell in my body. The Spirit that opens my ears to hear you and my eyes to see you. When I look to your word, I do see your compassion, your love. I picture you at peace when you are speaking with the Father. I picture you as a teacher, as you reach out to the young and old. Jesus, when I see you I picture you … Amen

No comments: