Friday, August 01, 2008

MISSING INFORMATION

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: MATTHEW 5:1-2

Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them, saying:

MISSING INFORMATION

At a Sunday School party, another lady and I swapped "getting parts" stories. For those readers that have a farming background, you are already smiling. For those of you who do not have a farming background, going after parts is not as easy as it sounds. First, the person needing the part is in less than an agreeable mood because having to get parts means that something is broken down. Having a piece of equipment sitting idle is not good during the farming season. Hence the disagreeable mood. Second, no matter how much information you are given, Murphy's Law kicks in and I can guarantee that 99.9% of the time you will be missing information. Take the time --

To be honest I do not remember if it was a tractor or a combine that decided to take the day off, but my husband sent me after a part. Just one. Simple except that we lived in Michigan and the part he needed was in Indiana, a short drive of two hours. One way. I called a friend to ride along, put our daughter in what would not qualify as a car seat today and off we went. In my possession was all the information I would need. Bill promised everything was written down. He promised!

We arrived at the parts store. I handed the parts man the information. There was all the information he needed. I was confident we would quickly be on the road home. Yes, all the information he needed was there. On that little slip of paper. Bill promised.

The parts man looked at me and, without even a hint of a smile, said, "Is this for the right or left side." Yes, he was serious. I was missing some important information.

I can laugh about this now. And it does make a good story, but at the time, it was not funny. The part was taken home because I could call Bill and get the information I needed.

Life often has missing information. Things we do not understand. Times we need help. For life questions, we can turn to God's word. Look in the scriptures. Read. Learn. Pray. Wait. God will give you the answer. He has the missing information.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Have you ever been sent after a part, a tool or whatever (for the men this could be a needle for the sewing machine or a certain type of flour) and when you got there you either did not have all the information you needed or they were out of that particular item? What did you do? Where did you turn for help?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Oh Lord, Sometimes there seems to be more questions than answers. Sometimes, I think I know exactly what I want and then wham; things just get all mixed up. It is as if I do not have all the information I need to make decisions. But when that happens, I know I can always calm myself down. Lift my questions to you and I know you will provide direction. As I travel through this life, give me the information I need to … Amen

No comments: