Friday, May 10, 2013

A MOTHER’S DAY THANK YOU

With Mother’s Day only two days away, I am feeling very grateful. I would like to thank two people: Bill (aka Willie) and Terri.

clip_image002

You see, without them I would not be a mother. And my life would not be complete without the lessons they have taught me.

MODESTY: I quickly learned that modesty is not always an option. Not sure if I learned this the first time I went to the doctor and he explained what those stirrups were for or in the delivery room surrounded by people I did not know. (Back in “the day” even fathers were not allowed in the delivery room.) --- Modesty had to be lost in the doctor’s office because by the time I went into the delivery room I just wanted it over with. I did not care who was watching. Yup, modesty went right out the window along with trying to keep that hospital gown tied in the back.

SLEEP: Did you know you can stay awake for days on end? Sleep is so over-rated. Now, I must admit, Willie and Terri were very easy babies to take care of. There was the nightly feeding, but that was a breeze. The lack of sleep hits with the first case of teething. Or the first case of flu. Or an extremely high fever. Those times when only “mommy” will do. When you sit on the couch putting one cold cloth after another on a very hot forehead. Or read the same story over and over because that is the only thing that will help them relax. Those times when you finally, finally get them laid down. When your head hits the pillow -- and the phone rings. Yes, sleep is so over-rated.

INTELLIGENCE: Now I do not claim to be a rocket scientist and my spelling is atrocious (thank you spell check), but I am not the dullest pencil the box either. Or at least I didn’t think so until I discovered I could not answer simple questions, like: Which came first the chicken or the egg? Did the cow really jump over the moon? What is 2 X a(b+c) ÷ 4? (If that is a real problem, then it is a result of dumb luck.) Luckily, I did not have to answer the question of where do babies come from because our cat Cottage Cheese (Yes that was her name.) gave birth in front of all the neighborhood kids. Lesson learned -- there were way more questions that I could not answer than I could. Do not feel sorry for me though. I do know how to get an elephant in the fridge and that you do not bury the survivors.

IDENTITY: To be honest, my identity left when I got married. I became “Bill’s wife.” That was followed with, “Oh, you are Willie’s mom.” And then, “Oh, you are Terri’s mom.” I honestly thought I would, someday resume being Mary. Know what?

I like my identity just fine! I love being a mother. I love being Willie’s mother. I love being Terri’s mother.

With Mother’s Day only two days away, I am feeling very grateful. I would like to thank two people: Bill (aka Willie) and Terri. You see, without them I would not be a mother. And my life would not be complete without the lessons they have taught me.

CHILD’S LAUGHTER: The sound of a child’s laughter is magic. It is sweeter than the softest melody and more powerful than the grandest symphony.

HANDS: I will forever treasure the feel of their hands in mine. A small hand taking mine, as we walked across the street. A small hand holding mine, as we watched a scary cartoon. A small hand holding mine, just because.

INSTANT LOVE: I loved them as they were safe within my womb. I loved them deeply the moment I saw them. I love them now.

Thank you Bill. Thank you Terri. I am so grateful you call me mommy.

SCRIPTURE: PSALM 113:9

He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the LORD.

PRAYER

Praise the Lord indeed! I am a happy mother! AMEN

No comments: