Friday, December 02, 2016

MY BIRTHDAY

My birthday was almost a month ago but I want you to know I just plain – LOVE BIRTHDAYS!!

Growing up, I got to pick what we had for supper.  There was a cake especially for ME.  I received birthday gifts.  (And gifts were special because gifts were ONLY given on your birthday and Christmas.)  My daddy, a truck driver, tried to be home on our birthdays. 

Our two children never knew what to expect on their birthday.  I bought the cheapest birthday paper tablecloths I could find.  Then I would cut them up and plaster them all over the house.  Sometime I hid their gifts and they had to find them.  There was always cake and ice cream. 

What about hubby?  Well, Bill is a bit more subdued than I am so his special day usually consisted of his favorite meal, a pie and a gift that I knew would absolutely annoy him.  One year he told me not to buy him anything.  Well, that was not going to happen so I bought him two things.  And those two dresses fit me to a T.

Yes, I love birthdays!  A day to feel special.  A day to celebrate who I am.  Just a day ---

“Now, Mary, stop and think about what you just said,” the voice from on High suggested.

“Well, God,” I answered.  “I said I get a day to celebrate who I am.”

“Think again.  A day?  Just a day?”

As I pondered.  As I scrunched my face.  As I looked up.

“Want a hint?

I nodded.

“Look up Psalm 71.”

“Finished?  Now tell me where it says you are to only celebrate one day?”

“May I try again?” I asked in a quiet voice.

“Yes, child.  Try again.”

Yes, I love birthdays!  Every year I get a day to celebrate my birth.  Every day I get to celebrate who I am.


From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother’s womb.  I will ever praise you.  I have become a sign to many; you are my strong refuge.  My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long.         Psalm 71:6-7



No comments: