Friday, November 25, 2016

THE MISSING PIECE

My mother, bless her heart, gave me a few things I do not appreciate such as Restless Leg Syndrome and arthritis.  She also gave me a couple of things I do appreciate.  I inherited a love to travel and working jigsaw puzzles.

Half of one closet is stacked with puzzles.  They range from very old ones mother had to new ones I just could not resist.  There are ones that have 300 pieces.  500 pieces.  1,000 pieces.  Some are square.  Some rectangle.  Some round.  Some are shaped and finding the border pieces is a challenge.  Hubby never understands how I can work them.  To him they look like a mess, with no way of ever coming together into a picture.

Oh, but to me they are many pieces waiting to be assembled into one.  I look for a dot of red that finishes the dress on the little girl.  Or a bit of purple to finish the sunset.  Or that elusive piece that should be a breeze to find that somehow is not on the table.  And then the sigh of relief when the piece is spotted on the floor. 

One of my favorites.


Yup, I love to do puzzles.  UNLESS ----- Unless there is a piece missing.  To get all finished and find you are one piece short is just so frustrating!!!  To know the puzzle is not complete…..

My life is like a puzzle.  But I know I cannot put the pieces of my life puzzle together.  That job requires the Master Puzzle Builder.  That job requires God.

God finds the piece with the dot of red that fits right there in the corner.  God finds the piece with the soft purple color needed to surround my life with a sunset.  God wants my life puzzle to be complete.  And that is the reason my puzzle has a border made of His Love.  His Forgiveness.  His Mercy.  His Strength.  His Grace.  His Wisdom.  His Peace.  His Glory. 

God is the glue that holds my life puzzle together. 


And that is what I am most thankful for.

1 comment:

Pastor Larry said...

Mary, I am like Bill. But I do have a story. I was president of the Food Pantry in our town for nine years. We had a board that met once a month at the Senior Center. We met around a large table that was also used by the seniors for games or crafts or the like. The Food Pantry itself was also in the Senior Center and most of our workers and Board members were seniors. One day I was at the Pantry, about a week before our meeting and our Pantry director and I were walking through the Center to talk with the Senior Center director. We were walking past the table and a massive puzzle was in pieces across the table. I asked what that was all about and was told is was a joint puzzle that any senior who wanted to could work on. When no one was looking I took one piece. A week later at our meeting we came in to use the table. The puzzle was all together but for one piece towards the left hand corner. One of the ladies sadly informed me that the box must have been short and everyone felt badly that they had worked so hard. "Well," I said. "Maybe it is under the table." "Oh Pastor, we looked." "This might be it," I said as I bent over. I came up with the piece in my hand and put it in place. For a minute it felt good to be the hero, but I finally confessed. Pastor Larry