Friday, April 07, 2017

HANDS

Our minister finished a sermon series on hands.  This series focused on the hands in the Easter Story, but it got me to thinking about what the scriptures say about hands?

One of my favorite is Psalm 63:4 –

I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.

As I looked up various scriptures, I found hands which:
deceived (Jacob & Isaac)                                held up other’s hands (Moses)
lapped up water to drink                                 were laid upon others in healing
built an ark                                                      belonged to God

Also hands which were:
pierced                                                            clean
clapping                                                           lifted
lazy/idle                                                           eager
helping                                                            feeble
reaching out                                                    working
angry                                                               prayerful

My imagination kicked into full gear and I pictured hands:
drawing water at a well                                  dropping stones
lowering a friend through a roof                     destroying a temple
tending sheep                                                  feeding the hungry
raising the dead                                               washing feet         
breaking bread                                                driving nails

Finally there was only one more set of hands to think about. 

My hands!  Are they hands Jesus would take into his and say, “Mary you have made good use of your hands.”?

What should my hands – our hands do?  They should worship and they should serve.  How would you answer the following?

Worship:  Does the Word of God feel comfortable in my hands?  When holding the Bible do my hands feel as if they are holding something valuable and familiar?  Can my hands be still as I quietly sit with God?  Are my hands lifted in praise when my Spirit soars?  Are my hands able to reach out and take the Bread and Cup?

Serve:  Are my hands kept close to my side and only used to serve those I love?   OR   Do my hands reach out to others?  Do I use my hands to wipe away a tear?  Do I use my hands to offer food to those in need?  Do my hands help lighten the burden another carries? 


Oh, Lord, please show me how to use my hands to worship and serve.  Amen

No comments: