Friday, June 08, 2018


THE MAGIC 8 BALL

There was an article on what you could take on a plane with you and guess what was on the no-no list. ….. A Magic 8 Ball! 

From the TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION:

Magic 8 Ball
Carry On Bags:  No        Checked Bags:  Yes
For Carry-on bags: We asked the Magic 8 Ball and it told us…Outlook not so good!
For Checked bags: We asked the Magic 8 Ball and it told us…It is certain!

Who knew the TSA had such a sense of humor?

I had a Magic 8 Ball.  It was a long time ago, but I remember asking it a question:  Will I pass the English test?  Then I would turn the ball over and look at the answer.  NO?  What do you mean no?  That is not the answer I wanted.  So, I would keep turning the ball over until it came up yes. 

It seems many people use the Bible like a Magic 8 Ball.  Maybe I should try that.  I do have a lot of questions.  (I promise to use the scripture my finger lands on the first time!)

Will this experiment turn out as I expect? === When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?”  John 21:15 === I must admit it took three times.  First try my finger landed on a description of the book of Esther instead of a scripture.  Second try my finger landed on a blank part of a page.  Third try and I am not sure how this answers my question.  Maybe a different question.

This will be a simple yes/no question:  Will it rain tomorrow? === The poor will eat and be satisfied; they who seek the LORD will praise him – may your hearts live forever!  Psalm 22:26 === Well…..the poor will eat and be satisfied could be taken that the rain came and the crops were abundant and, therefore, even the poor will have food.  Sorta.  I could make it apply to my question.

Let’s try another question:  Should I go to church? === BIG DISCLAIMER:  I wrote the question.  Closed my eyes.  Opened the Bible.  Put my finger on the last part of Acts 11:17:  who was I to think that I could oppose God?” 

And God put his 2 X 4 down and said, “Mary, you are kidding right?  Is this how I want you to read my Word?  I whacked you with this verse so you would stop using the Wisdom of my Word like a silly Magic 8 Ball.”

But God, that 8 Ball was fun and …..

“Oh my goodness.  Look at Genesis 1:1.  What does it say?”

In the beginning God ..

“Stop right there.  Does it say in the beginning the Magic 8 Ball ..?”

No, but I was just …..

“Remember, My Word is true.  Unchanging.  Now go read Psalm 139.  I know it is your favorite.”

With that God turned to Gabriel and said, “Do you think she gets it?”

With a smile, Gabriel answered, “It is certain.”

No comments: