Thursday, January 10, 2019


JOY

Written Sunday, January 6, 2019

I am doing Lay Leader at church this month.  This morning I started by saying the congregation has a sense of humor.

First, I better tell you that I am neither the tallest nor the shortest person around, but I am always a few inches too short to reach the stuff on the top shelf at any store.  Yesterday I had a day out with friends and my friend – a friend much taller than I am --drove her truck.  A truck with no running boards.  But she is a good friend and brought along a step stool.  So every time I had to get in the truck, out came the stool, I stepped up on it and then into the truck.  This caused more than a few glances and snickers from passersby.  Getting out was so much easier.  I could slide out.  Gravity took care of that! 

I told about this at church and could see a picture forming in everyone’s mind.  I am not sure which picture gave them the greatest joy – my climbing in the truck or my sliding out. 

I told the church what the pastor said in the prayer room as were getting ready to pray before service started.  The pastor had commented, “We are not 27 anymore.”  I told him I was.  I just used the numbers in a different order.  It was my turn for joy because it was funny to see the congregation thinking, “27 in another order would be…oh… 72.”

To top it all off, the pastor suggested I lead the singing.  I informed him that the Bible said a joyful noise and the only one that thought my singing was joyful was God.  I told the congregation I would not be standing anywhere near the microphone during the singing.  The congregation clapped.  Ok.  They did not clap but they were very joyful to learn I would not be leading the singing.

I wish everyone would worship joyfully.  I do not think there is a scripture that tells us to come to church with a scowl on our face.  Believe me, when you are up front you do not want to see row after row of prune faces and I am pretty sure God would agree.  There is so much joy around us

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.
My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.
Psalm 28:7

I can guarantee that God has provided me with many, many, many stepstools to reach where I need to be.  My heart leaps with joy when I slide down and find my feet firmly planted on solid ground.  And I praise him.

Since my youth, God, you have taught me,
and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generations,
your mighty acts to all who are to come.

My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you – I whom you have delivered.
Psalm 71:17-18, 23

Age is a number and hair color is just a color.  But God being beside me when I am old and gray is a fact!  And that fact makes me shout for joy.

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth;
make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.
Psalm 98:4

I will make a joyful noise unto the LORD.  I will make a loud noise.  I will rejoice and sing praises.  I will do this but I will only do this when I am not standing close to a microphone.

Bottom line:  Come to church with joy in your soul.

No comments: