Friday, February 08, 2019


LET’S MAKE A DEAL – ANOTHER WALL STORY FROM JOSHUA

Subtitle:  A PROSTITUTE, A LIE, A DEAL, and A NEW LIFE

THE NEWS

The local gossip told the reporter, “Yes, some say she is “reformed” but, really?  Once a prostitute, always a prostitute.  She can call herself an “innkeeper” but everyone knows what goes on in her house.  I am sure I saw two strangers slip in her door very quickly.  Why would they have to slip in quickly?”

The reporter shook his head and knew he needed to verify what he had heard.  The local gossip was known for spreading fake news, but there was an unusual amount of activity in the area.  He was sure he had seen representatives of the king enter her house.

Stopping one of the men, the reporter asked, “Is there anything wrong?  Do I need to put out a news flash?”

“I am not at liberty to say,” said the man.  Turning his head to make sure no one was listening; he continued quietly, “Off the record, we were sent to tell Rahab to turn over the men who entered her house.  We just missed them.  They had been there but left at dusk.  Rahab said they left the city.  I have no idea where to look.  They could have gone in any direction but we will head toward the Jordan.  Remember this is all off the record.  I better not see it on the morning news.”

The reporter shook his head and told the man, “The king will not like this.  He seems to be afraid of the Israelites.  I do not understand why he is so concerned.  We have a wall.”

AN OLD LIFE

Rahab would not have been voted “The Most Likely to Believe in the One True God.”  Jericho was a wicked city with a corrupt, depraved, pagan culture and Rahab was a willing contributor to that culture.  She did hear a lot from her clients and was ready to take advantage of any opportunity that came her way.

LET’S MAKE A DEAL

Rahab had experience in making deals with men and it was now time to make the deal of her life.

“You can come out now,” Rahab told the two spies.  “The king’s men think you headed out of town.  Before you go to sleep, we need to talk.”

“I have listened to my … my guests.  Word spread quickly of your crossing the Jordan River, your journey and all you have conquered,” Rahab continued.  Feet firmly planted and eyes that would not look away, she made a deal.  “I saved you and you will save my family!  Now how is this going to work?”

THE NEWS

BREAKING NEWS:  “Just in from Jericho, the walls to the city have fallen.  In a unique strategy, the Israelites shouted and the walls came tumbling down.  Everything has been destroyed!  A trader was traveling to Jericho and has called in.  Jacob what have you heard?”

“I was almost to Jericho when I heard a loud shout and the walls began to fall before my very eyes!  I did see one thing that seemed strange.  There was a red cord hanging out a window and two Israelites were leading the prostitute Rahab out of her house.  I think her family was with her, but that is just a guess.  I am not sure what happened after that because I hid behind a rock.”

“Thank you Jacob for that report.  Listeners, this is so hard to report.  A whole city destroyed except for a prostitute’s family.  We will give updates as they come in.  Reporting from Ai, this is First News.”

THE NEW LIFE

Rahab made the deal of a lifetime.  A deal which led to being the wife of Salmon and the mother of Boaz.  Boaz became the father of Obed who was the father of Jesse and Jesse the father of King David.

Rahab made the deal of a lifetime.  It was worth the risk of hiding the spies.  It was worth everything!

A PROSTITUTE, A LIE, A DEAL, and A NEW LIFE

I love the footnote in the NIV for Hebrews 11:31.

the prostitute Rahab” A designation describing her way of life prior to her newly found father; also a testimony to God’s boundless grace that can reach down and redeem and raise any sinner to eternal dignity.

Wow.  Let’s reword that:

“the sinner Mary” A designation describing Mary’s way of life prior to her newly found Father; also a testimony to God’s boundless grace that reached down and redeemed and raised Mary to eternal dignity.

Can I hear an AMEN!

No comments: