Friday, March 27, 2020


IT IS NOT TIME TO WAKE UP

I don’t know about you, but I hate it when I wake up at 4:00 or 5:00 AM.  It is not time to wake up, but my eyes will not close and my mind will not shut down.  How can a mind be awake at 4:00 AM?  How can a complete thought even form at 4:00 AM?  It is not time to wake up.

A very long time ago, there were some men sleeping soundly, when they heard, “Are you still sleeping and resting?  Look, the hour has come, and the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners.  Rise!  Let us go!  Here comes my betrayer!”

Waking up suddenly can be confusing:  Where am I?  What day is this?  What time is it?  We have all had this experience.  Think how confused the disciples must have been.

Hour for what?  How long did we sleep?  What is Jesus talking about?  A betrayer?  Why are there soldiers coming toward us?  Judas?  Why is Judas walking up to Jesus?

So much confusion.  So much happening.  And...and, Jesus is so calm.  It will be okay.  Jesus is calm.

No.  Do not take him!  What are you doing?  A sword.  An ear healed.  What is going on?  And..and, Jesus is so calm.  It will be okay.  Jesus is calm.

So many soldiers.  They have Jesus.  Fear.  We should stay.  Will they take us next?  Go now.  Hide.

==============

I can picture that night.  Jesus praying.  The disciples sleeping.  Judas leading the soldiers.  It is like a play taking place in my mind.  I have read it many times.  I have seen many movies.  I can picture that night.

But my heart..my heart wants to cry out, “Do not leave Jesus alone!  He loves you.  He has walked beside you.  Prayed with you.  Taught you.  He will turn his children over to you.  Do not leave Jesus alone.”

I can picture that night.  My mind sees it very clearly.

But my heart..my heart wants to cry out, “Run Jesus.  It is not time.  I need to know more.  I need more parables.  I need you to be alive.  I need you to take my hands and look into my eyes and gently say, “I love you Mary.  Look, I am calm.  It will be okay.”

I can picture that night.  I can close my eyes and it plays in my mind.  But my heart..my heart wants to write a different ending.  No trial.  No beating.  No cross.  No tomb.

And...and, Jesus is so calm.  It will be okay.  Jesus is calm.

I do not want to see the whip.  I do not want to hear the crowds.  I do not want to feel the earth shake.  I want to fast forward.  I want ...I need Jesus to take my hands and look into my eyes and gently say, “I love you Mary.  Look, I am ALIVE!  It will be okay.”

==============

As hard as it is, never forget that the worst of man came out against Jesus.  We condemned him.  We beat him.  We held the hammer.  We gave him vinegar.  We crucified him.

And...and, Jesus is so calm.  It will be okay.  Jesus is calm.

A very long time ago, the worst of man came out and condemned God’s Son.  And calmly Jesus died.

TO BE CONTINUED


No comments: