Friday, April 03, 2020


HE AROSE

And...and, Jesus is so calm.  It will be okay.  Jesus is calm.

A very long time ago, the worst of man came out and condemned God’s Son.  And calmly Jesus died.

AND NOT SO CALMLY HE AROSE.

As you all know, my mind seems to work a bit differently than most.  (I saw your heads nod in agreement.) I do not picture Jesus coming out of that tomb as quiet and calm.  Jesus would have been calm, but everyone else ...  no way.

The disciples were still hiding.  I get it.  They were afraid.  I am always saying, “I wish God would put a note beside my bed, so when I got up, I would know exactly what to do that day.” The disciples needed a note.  Even though Jesus had told them, they did not understand.  Yup, they needed a note.  They were not calm.  They were troubled.

As the men sat around discussing, the women were busy.  They knew what they had to do.  And it was not easy.  As they gathered the burial spices, as they worked in silence, as they walked to the tomb, they had so many unanswered questions: Why?  What now?  But I thought...  Questions and no one to give them answers.  They needed a note.  They were not calm.  They were troubled.

==========

NO NOTE —- AN ANGEL

The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified.  He is not here; he has risen, just as he said.  Come and see the place where he lay.  Then go quickly and tell his disciples; ‘He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee.  There you will see him.’ Now I have told you.”

And immediately it was not calm.  No quiet thoughts.  No slow walk.  Now there was HOPE!

The air would have become charged with hope and renewed energy.  They ran!  The women ran!  They were filled with joy!  Jesus is alive!  They were no longer troubled.  The women had hope.

The disciples could not believe what they were told.  And told by very excited, joyful women.  Can you picture these men suddenly standing tall and hurrying out the door, instead of hiding and talking quietly?  Could it be?  Can you picture them stopping, looking at each other, and their eyes becoming bright with understanding?  Their souls were filling with hope as they turned and rushed to Galilee.  Jesus is alive!  They were no longer troubled.  The disciples had hope.

===========

The Easter Story is full of emotions.  There are shouts of Hosanna and of give us Barabbas.  There are palm branches and there are hammers.  There is the washing of feet and the sound of feet running away.  There is despair and there is hope.

And...and, Jesus is so calm.  It will be okay.  Jesus is calm.

I do believe Jesus was calm.  Except..except for when he arose.  The picture is always of Jesus, in a white robe, spreading his arms, and floating away.  The disciples, heads turned toward heaven, watching him disappear into the clouds.

I think this image is all wrong.  Jesus was going home!  He was going to see His FATHER!  He was going back to sit on His Throne!  Jesus would have been filled with joy and excitement.  JESUS WAS GOING HOME!

I found a picture that I think represents Jesus’ resurrection.





TO BE CONTINUED

No comments: