Friday, April 24, 2020


HOW SHOULD YOU LOOK ….

While we are confined to quarters, (The great Stay Home caused by Covid-19, if you are reading this way into the future.)  I decided to do a Bible Study and I came across the question:  What visible attributes can be found in someone who knows and is directed by the Word of God?

I quickly started to write a long list of descriptive words:  Confident

That is as far as I got when I heard a voice say, “Really Mary? 

(I should have known God was reading over my shoulder.  I don’t know why he does that.  He already knows what I am going to say.  This makes me wonder why he doesn’t stop me before I blurt out something really strange, but that is for another blog.)

Well, I would be confident!

“Confident?  You?  Are you still nervous when you deliver a message?”

Yes.  But…

“No but about it.  Now, go google and then answer the question.  Limit it to four attributes or you will be searching into eternity.”

Hey God…

“Back already?”

Already?  It has been days.  I googled a lot!

“I barely blinked and here you are with your ‘Hey God.’  Are you ready to answer the question?”

Am I ever!  As instructed, I stopped at four.  Ready.  Set.  Go.

What visible attributes can be found in someone
who knows and is directed by the Word of God?

Confident:  A person would be confident when the Word directed them into action.
  • Moses came to mind and he was not confident.  I often wonder how come you didn’t just shake your head and find another person to lead your people out of Egypt.  Moses argued with you, as if you didn’t already know he was lacking in the speech department.  And asking you to send someone else.  Can I do that next time?  Ask you to send someone besides me?  Never mind.  I know the answer.  He was not confident.
  • Then I thought of the kid with the slingshot.  Talk about confidence!  David, grabbing his slingshot, bending over to pick up a rock, and taking aim.  No doubt in that young man’s heart that he would slay the giant.  I bet he did a “happy dance” after Goliath fell.  Confidence oozed out of David. 

Willing:  When the direction comes, they would be willing to serve.
  • Mother Teresa, a little bit of a lady, said, “By blood, I am Albanian.  By citizenship, an Indian.  By faith, I am a Catholic nun.  As to my calling, I belong to the world.  As to my heart, I belong entirely to the Heart of Jesus.”  That has to make heaven shout with joy when one of your children so willingly goes down the path you planned for them.  What great things she did!  Mother Teresa could be described as “willing on steroids.”
  • Of course, there is Jonah, who was anything but willing.  Talk about stubborn.  Yes, I know.  I could be a descendant of Jonah.  But, my goodness, you told him what to do and instead he runs off and gets swallowed by a whale.  He gets out, gets the attention of the people of Nineveh, and then… Then he pouts.  Where do you get these people?  Pouts!  Jonah certainly did not show one sign of being willing to serve.

Vision:  A person would be determined to carry out the vision they received.
  • Do you know who S. Truett Cathy is?  What if I tell you he had a vision about the best chicken sandwich ever?  Bingo.  He founded Chick-fil-A.  He not only had a vision, he had determination.  It took seven years and $50,000,000 to perfect their Grilled Nuggets.  Mr. Cathy’s vision allowed him to help others and stand as a Christian in the business world.
  • Here is another one.  Do you know Kahlon Ingham?  Ok.  OK.  Of course you know.  I get it, asking if you know something is more than a bit rhetorical.  Back to a vision.  Kahlon is a young boy in Texas who had a vision.  His vision was not grand.  It was a simple idea because he saw people homeless and they needed shelter.  He collected a few blankets and a few tents and he had help delivering them.  Kyle Ingham said, “Some of us see people that we want to help and we don’t know how, and a 10-year-old boy can look at something and say, ‘This is the way we address it and this is the way we help people.’”  Being young did not stop him from fulfilling his vision.

Dynamic:  A person would be dynamic.  Almost bigger than life.
  • Billy Graham was dynamic.  He was known around the world.  He told thousands, maybe millions, about You and Your Word.  Without a doubt, you could see he knew and was directed by Your Word.  He was dynamic.
  • Then I thought of my Grandma.  Believe me, she knew her Bible!  She was directed by the words written there.  She was not dynamic and she did not tell thousands.  But she told me.

“These are four good examples, but what have you learned from googling?”

I have learned…. I can answer the question…. I HAVE NO IDEA!  I thought it was an easy question.  I know a lot of Christians.  There is one big problem.

“What is the problem?  I thought this was an easy question.”

News flash!  Your children do not all act alike!

“Not news to me, Mary.  That is the beauty of it.”

Now I am confused, but that seems to happen every time we have one of these conversations. 

“How about I put it in very easy to understand terms?  Your examples are all good, but the best one is the last one….because it is personal.  Evangelist Billy Graham had a calling, but he was not to draw you to Christ.  That was what your grandma was to do.  She knew My Words.  She was directed by My Words.  She showed you the way.”

The perfect person for the job – is that what you are saying?

“Yes.”

Even though Moses couldn’t speak with flair and asked you to send someone else?

“Yes.”

David with the slingshot?

“Yes.”

Pouting Jonah and Mother Teresa?

“Jonah is Jonah and Mother Teresa… extremes and both perfect for the job.”

S. Truett Cathy and Kahlon Ingham …?

“Yes and yes.  Mary, there is no certain “look” for a person following my direction.  They look like… they look like themselves.”

And me?  Am I perfect for the job?

“The verdict is still out on that one.”

Oh, God.  You are teasing me……………you are teasing, right?

“Time will tell.”

No comments: