Friday, May 15, 2020


THE LOST PHONE

CAN I BORROW YOUR PHONE

You can take the boy out of the country (We moved to town a number of years back.), but you cannot take the country out of the boy (Come spring and fall, the call of a tractor is very strong.).  Yes, hubby likes to drive a big ole CAT tractor with a couple of pieces of equipment following along behind.  The CAT also has auto-steer and is driven by a man who will not use a computer, barely uses my old iPad, and has a flip phone.

Please change that to ‘had’ a flip phone.  It seems a friend called and, apparently, when hubby returned the phone to the pocket where said phone resides, he did not get the pocket snapped completely.  The flip phone took advantage of this and decided to investigate the soil conditions.  That was a mistake, because the CAT might have auto-steer but it does not have do-not-drive-over-a-phone.  The phone is now somewhere trying to figure out why it is so dark and quiet.

And I drove 14 miles to give Bill my phone and 14 miles back home.  And the local phone store was closed till Monday.  Gotta love small town living.

THE REPLACEMENT

Arriving at the local phone store, I was informed I was the third person reporting a lost phone.  Farming season seems to be hard on phones.  When I inquired about a flip phone, the young man informed me they were out of them.  There must be a lot of flip phone users because he said they could not keep them stocked.  A new phone was ordered and it would arrive in the mail – in three days.  Do you remember the first part when I told you hubby did not use a computer?  Guess who had the privilege of unpacking and setting the phone up?  You are right.  Me.

THIS SHOULD BE EASY

I have set up websites for two churches.  I manage three Facebook pages and write this blog.  YOU WOULD THINK SETTING UP A FLIP PHONE WOULD BE EASY!  Apparently someone in shipping has decided anticipation is a good thing and wanted to make sure the new phone was not discovered too quickly.  The phone was inside a wrapper, inside a box, inside another box.  The phone was there.  The SIM card was in the phone.  The battery was there.  Included were the warranty and a very brief how to. 

Surely there was more.  Nope!  There was no call this number or access this site to activate this phone.  Bless the internet.  AT & T site activated the phone.  Alcatel site had a manual to download.  Then it began.

Do you want English?  Do you accept the terms?  Do you want us to know where you are every minute of the day?  Do you want alerts?  Do you know it would not allow me to delete the Presidential alert?  If the President speaks, thou shalt listen.  Adding contacts was such a delight.  It is not like a flip phone has something that resembles a keyboard.  H – 2 clicks, O – 3 clicks, M – 1 click, E – 2 clicks.  And if I didn’t wait for the line under the letter to go away, I had the wrong letter.  FINALLY THE PHONE IS SET UP!!

HANDING THE PHONE OVER TO HUBBY

I bet you are eagerly awaiting the details of that process.  Sorry.  The new phone is so close to the old one he took to it like a duck to water.  Hubby is happy.  I am thrilled.

THE POINT

My connection to God is never lost.  I don’t have to worry about getting my pocket snapped.  I don’t have to wait for a store to open or to receive the replacement.  I don’t have to access the internet for instructions or to activate the SIM card.  I don’t even need a battery.

All I have to do is say, “Hey God.  Can we talk?”

No comments: