Friday, May 08, 2020


WHAT IF I DON’T DO IT?

The word of the LORD came to me, saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”  Jeremiah 1:4-5

Let me tell you, God made it easy on Mr. Jeremiah!  God flat out told him he was a prophet to the nations.  Jeremiah did not have to figure out what God wanted him to do.  He did not have to wake up each day and wonder, “What does God want me to do today.”  No!  He got up, had his coffee and went off to do as he was told.  God even told him, if the bad guys overcame him, he was right there with him and would rescue him.  Jeremiah talked to the people of Israel, proclaimed at the palace of the king of Judah, and wrote to all the people Nebuchadnezzar carried into exile.  (I used Nebuchadnezzar because, although he was one bad dude, his name is cool to say.)

What if Jeremiah had not done as the LORD instructed?

I know there are things God would never ask me to do.  God would never expect me to be in the choir.  I love music but --- and that is a very big ‘but’ – I cannot carry a tune in the proverbial bucket.  God would not ask me to work in the Garden of Eden.  I do not have plants in my house for a very simple reason:  They die!  I cannot tell a flower from a vegetable or a weed.  Yes, you are thinking, “God would give you those skills.”  That is the point.  God did not give me those skills!  Plain and simple – singing and gardening are not talents incorporated into my DNA.

You will not find me on World of Dance, the National Spelling Bee, or Jeopardy.  Those skills are also absent from my DNA.  The lack of a spelling gene means I am terrible at crossword puzzles, but I am amazing at jigsaw and Sudoku puzzles.  God did incorporate a very active imagination, a quirky way of thinking, and the desire to learn.  He also gave me a heart for children and the love of travel.

My DNA was created by God.

For I am God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for me to do.  Ephesians 2:10 (made personal)

Even the Old Testament knew I would need instructions.

He has shown me, a mere mortal, what is good.  And what does the LORD require of me?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with my God.  Micah 6:8 (made personal)

There are many things God does expect of me.  Things I am asked to do.  But what happens if I don’t do them?  Who suffers?

The quick answer is I suffer.  And, that is true.  When I do not do as God expects, my insides are nervous.  I want to hide.  The Bible --- reaching for the Bible is like putting my hand over a fire.  You would think, at this age, I would just do what I know I should.  There is a verse about that, but sometimes God wants me to …. Oh, he wants me to… My goodness… He wants me to do it HIS way.  And he is right.  When I do it HIS way, I might not like it and I might wonder why he is asking this of me, but I am blessed by the outcome.

There are many things God does expect of me.  Things I am asked to do.  But what happens if I don’t do them?  Who suffers?  The quick answer is I suffer, but this question has another answer:  Others suffer.

If I do not do good works which give God the glory, others will not see.  Others will not find the way.  Others will suffer.

If I do not act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with my God, others will not see.  Others will not find the way.  Others will suffer.

God wants each of us to obey.  Obey because we love God and want to honor and worship him with our actions.  We need to do this so others will see.  So others will find the way.

Jesus gave the Great Commission:

Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”  Matthew 28:17-20

What happens if we don’t go?  Don’t make disciples?  Don’t Baptize?  Don’t teach?

We suffer because we are not doing God’s will, but there is another answer to that question.

What happens?

Others suffer.  And they suffer into eternity.

No comments: