Friday, May 29, 2020


CUSTOMER SERVICE

I should be focusing on writing a blog.  Instead here I sit, listening to the same message over and over, while I wait to talk to customer service.  Maybe, I better explain my experiences with customer service the last two days.

WEDNESDAY

The cable bill arrived and it was a bit higher than last month.  Seeing that a promotional had disappeared, I chatted with the website.  I got nowhere except for obtaining a number for customer service.  I understand and appreciate security, but trying to talk to a human requires pressing at least 10 numbers and giving a password that you had forgotten even existed.  Finally, a nice man, living in Arizona, confirmed the promotional had ended but he could offer me another one.  Bless his heart and he is even sending a new remote.  A new remote should greatly improve my choice of words when trying to aim the old one in the exact and only spot that would allow me to change channels.

THURSDAY

I hate running errands but today was the day and it was raining.  Remember that hubby lost his phone?  The statement from the cell phone company came and … let’s just say one of my errands was to take the statement to the local store so they could explain the extra charges.  Guess what the reply was – Give up?  “You will need to call customer service and have them look at your statement.”

I went home, heard my tummy growl, and decided calories were in order before making a call to customer service. 

Then I made the mistake of opening my email.

A number of months ago, we went to a car dealership to look at a car our grandson had seen online.  We looked at the car, talked to our daughter, gave the salesman our email, and told him we would get back to him.  Our daughter spoke with the salesman and they could not agree on a price.  I would have thought that would be the end of the story.  BUT NO!  The salesman apparently does not know how to remove an email address from his list!  I would get an email and reply with take my name off your list.  I would get an email and reply with take my name off your list.  (Go back to first sentence, of this paragraph, and reread “A number of months ago.”  Also remember I hate running errands.  Both of these came into play.)  Lo and behold, today I received another email.  I called to talk to the manager who was conveniently busy.  I asked for the second in command.  Let’s just say it did not go great, but he took my name off the email list. 

There on my desk was the cell phone statement and the customer service number was front and center.  I picked up the phone, took a deep breath, and dialed (Dialed — that shows my age.) the number.  The recording began and continued to ensure me I am a valued customer and they will be with me as quickly as possible.  Holding the phone to my ear, I began writing this blog.

Being a valued customer did not mean someone from customer service would actually be with me quickly.  Eventually, a young lady came on the line and we discussed the charges.  I agreed the one-time fee was reasonable to process from the old phone buried in a field to the new phone in hubby’s pocket.  We discussed the insurance plan.  Hubby has a flip phone that cost $59.99 and the insurance fees were $8.99 and $6.01.  Yes, two fees totaling $15.00 on a $59.99 phone and THESE WOULD BE MONTHLY!!   Yes, they would remove the fees.  Only one more item to discuss:  the charge for the phone, which the local store would not allow me to pay for when we ordered it.  The phone is $59.99 and they billed me $2.00.  That $2.00 would be deducted each month, until the phone was paid for.  OH MY GOODNESS!  THAT WOULD BE 30 MONTHS!  I want to pay for the phone!!!  That was arranged, the conversation ended, and the next valued customer was greeted with, “Thank you for waiting.”    

Customer service!

Sometimes when I write my blog, I know how it is to go.  This time I had no idea until I looked at the last customer service.  I realized the best place to receive customer service is at the church.  From the minister.

Google assured me the word Pastor, in Hebrew, Greek, and Latin, means shepherd:   someone who the Lord raises up to care for the total well-being of His flock.  (If Pastor Larry disagrees with Google, I will certainly hear about it.)  The scriptures go into a bit more detail.

I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will lead you with knowledge and understanding.  Jeremiah 3:15

Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them – not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.  And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.  1 Peter 5:2-4

So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.  Ephesians 4:11-13

Customer service, provided by the pastor, our shepherd, involves:
  • Leading with knowledge and understanding
  • Watching over us willingly and not expecting to get rich
  • Eager, but humble, and an example
  • Equipped so the congregation will be unified in faith and knowledge of Jesus and they will mature into the fullness of Christ

Sunday through Saturday, all hours of the day, often in the middle of the night, and holidays, the pastor, our shepherd, gives customer service by:
  • Preaching the Word of God, relying on the gifts and power of the Holy Spirit
  • Being an example to the church
  • Teaching the Word and how to live like Christ
  • Protecting the flock from “wolves” and untrue teaching
  • Counseling those that are hurting and questioning, listening when someone needs to talk, and carrying our burdens
  • Praying for each and every sheep in the flock

NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE! 

(Thank you Pastor Larry!  You are a good Shepherd!)


No comments: