Friday, January 07, 2022

 WHAT DID I DO?


I have had this pin for years and love it.  What did I ever do to deserve this seems to be a question I ask – a lot of people ask – when things are not going …

“When things are not going how, Mary?”

Happy New Year God. 

“Don’t try to change the subject.  When things are not going how?  Going your way, maybe?”

My goodness, you do seem to be listening at all the wrong times.

“I am listening all the time.”

I know …

“Said with more than a bit of sarcasm.  My child are you having a bad day?”

No.  Actually things have been super, what with Covid and people being afraid instead of living and increased crime and inflation and no one wanting to work and people staying home instead of coming to church and …

“You do not do sarcasm well.  Sounds more like complaining.  Let’s go back to your pin.  The person on the pin is asking God what they did to deserve this.  Do you want me to give you a list?”

Yes!  I want to know what I did to deserve ..

“Mary, there is only one word on the list.”

One word?

“The word is nothing.”

Nothing?  That makes no sense.  I think you do not understand.  I want to know what I did to deserve all the hard times in life. 

“I understand perfectly.  I think you are looking at the question incorrectly.  You have done nothing to deserve all of this.”

All of what?

“Look around.  Everything you see is a gift.  The sky and the grass.  The trees and the roses.  The very air you breathe.  These were all created for you.”

For me?  But why?  If I have done nothing to deserve it, why did you create all this for me? 

“Because I love you.”

Wow. 

“And, Mary, don’t mess it up.”

Oh, I probably will.

“Yes, you probably will.  Sometimes more than once a day.”

Is that sarcasm I hear in your voice?

“No.”

Happy New Year God.

“Happy New Year Mary.”

+  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.  God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it.  Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” 

 

Then God said, “I give you

 

Genesis 1:27-first part of 29

I give you

The air you breathe

The ground you walk on

The food you eat

The water you drink

These are gifts from a loving God.  Gifts we have done nothing to deserve.  Gifts we so take for granted. 

I give you

My Son

This is a gift from a loving Father to us, his children.  A gift we have done nothing to deserve.  A gift we only have to accept

No comments: