Friday, January 28, 2022

 JUST BE PATIENT

I am writing this January 13 because on January 28, I should be in the middle of the process of being dismissed from the hospital.  A new knee will be accompanying me home.  The old knee has served me well, but should have been replaced a few years back.  I kept putting it off until our daughter insisted I go have it looked at. 

THE PROCESS

First Surgeon:  The Physician’s Assistant took one look at my x-rays and said, “Mary you need to have that knee replaced.”  Then he introduced himself.  After discussing the amount of arthritis and previous problems during surgeries, he suggested I have the surgery in a hospital 40 miles away.  I decided to try a closer option. 

Second Surgeon:  This orthopedic surgeon is in a local hospital and has operated on our grandsons.  He took one look at the x-rays and said, “Mary we could try injections.”  My goodness!  A surgeon who suggested an alternative to surgery is quite a find.  I asked if that was the best option.  He took another look at the x-ray and said, “No.  You need a knee replacement, but we can try the injections first if you want.”  That was November 15.

The Process:  The nurse returned and we began the discussion on the process.  Blood work, an EKG, and approval for surgery will be required.  This all should take about a month.  In my mind, I am thinking that makes surgery the middle of December and off I went to get the ole arm stuck and the heart listened to.  Then I received a call on meeting with the doctor that would approve the surgery.

Process hiccup #1:  The approval doctor did not have an appointment until December 23!  What?  Really?  Now we are looking at surgery sometime in January.

Process hiccup #2:  December 7, I tested positive for Covid and the December 23 appointment was moved to December 30.  Surgery was getting pushed further and further away.

Process hiccup #3:  January 10, the doctor approved the surgery but the first available time was March 1.  What?  Really?  What happened to this should take about a month?  I hung up and opened my daily devotional.

January 10 devotional:  YOUR DESTINY

January 10 devotional scripture:  HABAKKUK 2:3

These things I plan won’t happen right away.  Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled.  If it seems slow, do not despair for these things will surely come to pass.  Just be patient!  They will not be overdue a single day.

As I read that scripture, I took a breath and calmly offered this prayer:  God, you have this.  It will happen when the time is right.  I will just be patient.  Amen

Process surprise:  About three hours after the call saying the surgery will be March 1, the phone rang.  I was informed there was a cancellation on January 25 and they wondered if I would take that appointment.  OF COURSE.

And the process works in God’s time not mine.  Now, if there were no more hiccups, I should be on my way home.  And my hubby will love me right through recovery and therapy.  Will he be patient?  He will be very patient with me, but if he gets impatient with the process, I will hand him Habakkuk 2:3 personalized just for him.

Mary’s recovery won’t happen right away.  She will improve slowly, steadily, surely, and the vision of her healed will be fulfilled.  If it seems slow, I will not despair for it will surely come to pass.  I will just be patient!  God’s plan will not be overdue and will be on the exact day He has it planned.

 

No comments: