Friday, October 21, 2022

 NO SENSE OF HUMOR

Day five, of my hospital stay, began way too early when the technician came to draw blood.  As he was performing his duties, I said, “I have had so many needles stuck in me that when I drink water it squirts out the holes.”  He looked at me, with a dead-pan look, and left the room.  That poor man had no sense of humor.

How does someone function without a sense of humor?  If you have no sense of humor, how do you react when a child, with cookie crumbs all over their face, says, “I did not eat a cookie.”?  Such sweet innocence.  Such an out and out lie.  All of us with a sense of humor would be struggling not to laugh.

A no sense of humor person would be upset because a goose decided to land on the baseball field.  A person, with a sense of humor, would be laughing as a proper goose removal technique was being carried out.  How sad to be missing a sense of humor. 

That got me to thinking about how my life would be different if certain “things” were missing.  Not the obvious things like family and friends or things most of us take for take for granted like home, electricity, water.  I got to thinking about the invisible things.

Let’s start with an easy one everyone can relate to.  I cannot see the breeze blowing the leaves, but I can see the leaves moving.  A gentle breeze … invisible but it is present in our lives and can bring joy as we watch leaves swirling in the air.  That is only the beginning of invisible things.

I cannot see trust, but it impacts my life.  Have people I trusted let me down?  Of course, but I refuse to live my life based on the actions of a few.  Even when we are not there, three friends, numerous family members, and the guy who will come in an emergency to work on our furnace, water heater, or electric problem know how to get into our home.  And I trust God.

I cannot see hope, but it moves me forward through life.  I hope my family and friends will have happy, healthy lives.  I hope people will change their lives and find faith in God.  I hope our churches would be strong against the current culture and not hide.  Without hope, I would hear the news and fear tomorrow.  And I place my hope in God.

I cannot see forgiveness, but I can feel it.  It is as if a burden has been lifted from my shoulders.  It is as if my very soul shouts, “I will suffer no more from my sins.”  And I accept the forgiveness of God.

I cannot see all the ways I am protected.  I cannot see the times I did not fall or every time I was almost in a wreck.  I cannot see an angel stepping between that ole Satan and me.  I cannot see all the prayers being said for me.  And I call upon God’s protection.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Hebrews 11:1 KJV

I am so thankful for all the unseen things in my life. 

I am so thankful for a sense of humor, because I still think water squirting out all those needle holes is funny.

No comments: