Friday, March 10, 2023

 

COMMUNION

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”

Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you.  This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.  I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

Matthew 26:26-29

We take Communion the first Sunday of each month.  I do not take it lightly.  I do not allow it to become a habit instead of an honor.  When I hold the bread and the cup, I realize my sins are real and my salvation has come at a price.

Communion does not require a huge production.  It does not need a stage to be set or music to be played to enhance a mood.  Communion can be taken with others or alone on a snowy night …

We lived in Michigan and attended a Methodist Church.  It was Christmas Eve and there was no formal service that year.  The church was open.  Yes, open.  Unlocked.  Anyone could enter.  The church was open and Communion was available to any who entered.  This Communion has never left my heart and was the most memorable Communion I have ever taken.

The kids were finally asleep.  Christmas gifts were ready for the next morning.  Bill stayed home.  It was 10:30 PM and I headed to church.  It was snowing.  The church was empty when I arrived.  When I opened the door to the sanctuary, the lights were dim.  As I walked down the aisle, my spirit calmed.  It seemed like each step left a care or worry behind.  My focus was on one thing: A small table holding the Bread and the Cup.

I sat down and talked to God.  I thanked God for sending HIS SON.  I thanked God for the hope … trust … mercy …forgiveness.  I took the Bread and the Wine sometime.  I cannot tell you when.  Time seemed to stand still as I sat in that church … on a snowy Christmas Eve … with the lights turned low enough I could see, but dim enough to keep me from seeing anything but the table.  Eventually I stood up, walked out, and went home.

I do not take Communion lightly and on that night, my Communion was as true and honest as it was the night Jesus served the disciples.  On that night, I wept as I took broken bread.  On that night, I took the cup and rejoiced a risen Christ.

And someday I will drink from the fruit of the vine with Jesus in His Father’s kingdom.

No comments: