Friday, March 17, 2023

 THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

A number of years ago, the church we attended had three services.  An upcoming event meant I needed to make an announcement at each service.  I was headed to first service, listening to the radio, and going over what I was to say.  Normal drive.  Not much traffic.  About 8:10 AM.  Then the news came on and they reported on a truck driver in California. 

A truck driver?  My dad had been a truck driver before he died so, anytime news involved a truck driver, I listened. 

The news began with saying there had been an accident in a tunnel.  One of the vehicles was a semi.  The driver did not survive and I said a prayer for his family.

“You have to tell.” I couldn’t shake those words.  “You have to tell.  Someone needs to hear this.” Tell who? Really, tell what? Tell about the accident.  All I knew was that a man died.  Someone I didn’t know… “You have to tell.” Tell who? Tell when? “You have to tell.” Those words would not go away.

First service: Nothing.  Sunday School: Nothing.  Second Service: This is the service we attend and Bill asked me, “Are you alright? You seem a bit on edge.” I told him yes and I would explain later.  But still, nothing.  Third Service: This was a modified service.  Only the basics for the 20 or so that were not early risers and those that had small children who found the timing better.  The service was about over, the minister was ready to say the closing prayer, and I knew it was time. 

Of course, the minister got that deer in the headlight look when I stood up and said I had something to say.  I started by saying, “I do not know why I am to tell this and I do not know who needs to hear this, but I want to tell you about a trucker and a tunnel.” I told them about a trucker, just doing his job, entering a tunnel and never coming out. 

We hear about the light at the end of the tunnel, but, on this day, for this trucker, there was no light at the end of the tunnel.  And I wondered if he was a believer.  I told them that if he was not, he was lost.  I told them that if they were not believers, now was the time before it was too late.  And I sat down.  The pastor prayed.  I left.

On that morning, finally during third service, my job was to tell and that is what I did.  So I left.  Did anyone stay and talk with the minister? When I walked out the door, I did not know.  I had done my part.  I told.  I talked with the minister a few days later and he said someone had stayed until everyone was gone.  (Notice until everyone left.)  One person was to hear about the trucker and that one person heard.

We do not know who needs to hear or what they need to hear.  Although it is all the same story, one person might be saved because they hear why Jesus lived and one person might be saved because they hear why Jesus died.  We need to tell so the light at the end of the tunnel is there for everyone.

<   <   <   >   >   >

Since this is the Easter season, I felt I should tie this in some way.  The obvious choices are

  • Jesus is the light
  • Jesus is the savior
  • Jesus died for our sins

BUT — don’t ya love it when I put in a BUT — the tie to Easter comes after the tomb was empty.

“Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.  When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted.  Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.””

   Matthew 28:16-20 NIV

There it is! The tie in!

GO AND MAKE DISCIPLES — in plain English:   GO AND TELL!

No comments: