Friday, September 15, 2023

RANDOM “AHS”

What is an “AH”?  The dictionary says it is a less common spelling of “aah” and, since I am a lousy speller, I will stick with “ah.” 

Ah:  intransitive verb – to exclaim in amazement, joy, or surprise

I like that definition.  One important thing is that “ah” moments cannot be planned.  We had one such moment a few nights ago.  We were sitting on the deck playing a card game when I looked up and saw this. 



A cross!  Right there in the sky!!  Now you can rationalize that two jet trails formed this.  You would be right.  BUT, for me, it was a very big AH moment!  Of course, when I posted this on Facebook, one grandson said it was a sign of intervention and grandpa was to win the card game.  It was a sign, but not for a card game.  I beat him.

Ah number two only lasted a couple of seconds.  We were coming out of a restaurant and everyone coming in the door had eyes straight forward…. except for one little tyke.  That child was waving!  A smile and a wave for everyone.  Children give more ah moments than adults.  Adults have forgotten how to look at strangers and acknowledge them.  Not children.  They like to wave and they bring joy with their smile.

Ah number three was seeing the surprise on the faces of the congregation last Sunday.  I am not sure if they had a look of surprise or that “deer in the headlights” look.  I gave the message and the last part was congregation participation.  They were not expecting that.  BUT they took a deep breath and first one and then another answered my question.  Thank you to the congregation of Urbana Yoke Parish for being willing to get out of your comfort zone. 

Ah moments are fleeting and we have to be ready or we will miss them. 

When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too.  And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove.  And a voice came from heaven:  “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”  Luke 3:21-23

Now that would have been something to see.  A really, really big ah moment.  What if you had your back turned and were drying off because you had just been baptized?  What if you had left to get supper ready?  A fleeting ah moment and you missed seeing Jesus baptized.

(The disciples wanted to send the crowds away to get food.)  Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away.  You give them something to eat.”  Matthew 14:16

Now that would have been something to see.  A really, really big ah moment.  What if you had left early because the kids were getting restless, you were tired of sitting, you were impatient, and you were hungry?  A fleeting ah moment and you missed being fed.

<  <  <  <  <  <   >  >  >  >  >  >

Many parables tell us we have to be ready.  Ah moments are fleeting and we have to be ready or we will miss them.  We do not know when the BIG AH is going to happen. 

(Jesus speaking to his disciples.)  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also maybe where I am.”

This ah moment will be at a surprising time and will be amazing and joyous.  This is one ah moment you do not want to miss.  Be ready.

 

No comments: