Friday, March 01, 2024

 Change

“Why do we have this?”   “Do you want it?”

Those two questions are being heard with great regularity around our house.  We are moving! This move involves a new word: downsizing.  Other moves have been “put it in the box and I’ll figure it out later” moves.  This time, we are moving into an independent home at a local retirement community.  A new adventure but less space.  We no longer need a lawn mower or a snow blower.  I did not count the number of puzzles that no longer reside in one-half of a closet.  They will now challenge someone else.

Purge is my new word.  Purge one is pretty well done.  Purge two will begin shortly.  Purge two will be a bit harder and I do not look forward to the sewing closet.  I remember a friend saying they found a box of string in their parent’s home.  The box was labeled: strings too short to use.  I am afraid I am going to find material scraps that would belong in such a box.  And I will wonder why I kept that small piece.  But, you know…someday I might need a piece just that size.  Of course, I never do and downsizing will mean it goes pitched.

Hang in there.  I am moving toward the point of the blog.  That point is the title: CHANGE!  How we hate that word.  We want everything to stay the same.  News Flash: Change happens!

I look around and see change everywhere.  The Amazon truck goes up our street every day - even Sunday.  Following along are FedEx and USPS.  The way we shop has changed.  Not to be outdone, Ubers will deliver us and Grub-hub will deliver our supper.  Change.  Family news is now announced and shared on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and messenger.  Change.  Going to church now means grabbing another cup of coffee and getting comfortable on the couch.  Change.

So you do not think I am an old fuddy-duddy, I am not opposed to change.  Farmers now feed the world instead of working to just feed their family and books now come flying into your Kindle.  I love technology.  My iPad gives me directions to faraway places and allows me to send messages to my grandkids.  My computer gives me access to articles and information.  I like the old hymns and I like the contemporary hymns.  I think contemporary means any hymn written since 1900.

I do like change.  I like the change that happens when I allow God to direct my path.  I like the change that happens when I accept the forgiveness of my sins through the love of Jesus.  I like the change that warms my soul when I listen to the Holy Spirit.

News Flash: Change happens.  Your life can be impacted by inventions and ideas.  Your life can be enriched by a story and a song.  You can be surrounded by family and friends or sitting quietly by yourself.  You can live in a mansion or on the street.  BUT not one thing invented or thought of by man.  Not one word written or spoken by the greatest preacher.  Not one worldly change can have the impact on your life as the actions of one man.

Easter comes early this year - March 31.  Are you ready?

No comments: