Friday, March 08, 2024

 THE JOB OF A LIFETIME 


I have worked in various positions.  My first job was doing whatever my mom and dad told me.  This was free labor, but my next job was a paying position.  I was a car hop and made 35 cents per hour plus tips.  Not quite free labor, but close.  Other jobs followed, but were never “the job of a lifetime.” 


The disciples seemed pretty set for life. They were self-employed fishermen or gainfully employed as a tax collector.  Until …. Until they heard the words, ”follow me.”  What?  Drop everything.  No trip to HR.  No guarantee of advancement.  Not even the mention of a salary.  Just “follow me.”  And they did.  They dropped their nets and left their father.  One left the tax money lying on the table.  Other disciples heard about Jesus and went to him.  There were no interviews.  Sit under a fig tree and you just might be the next disciple.    


The disciples thought they had their “job of a lifetime.”  They listened.  They learned.  They saw miracles.  They carried baskets of fish and bread.  They saw Jesus pray.  


The disciples were prepared to be on the job long enough to have their hair turn gray.  They were prepared to follow Jesus through the decades.  At 33 … Jesus would be around for a good many years.  Yes, this was their “job of a lifetime.” Until ….


Until can be a very unpleasant word.  The disciples’ until came when Jesus was arrested.  What do we do now?  Then it got worse.  Jesus was charged and found guilty.  What do we do now?  Jesus was beaten and … and hung on a cross.  What do we do now?  Jesus is dead.  In a grave.  Dead.  What do we do now?


Jesus was no longer there to teach them.  He was no longer there to guide them. What do we do now?


“Follow me.”  Two short words.  Two words said by a man.  Two words that changed the lives of the disciples and put them on a path to spread the Good News.  Jesus still says, “Follow me.”  Two short words.  “Follow me and I will make you fishers of men.”  What do we do now?  


Easter is early this year - March 31.  Are you ready?

No comments: