Friday, July 24, 2026

 A SIMPLE TASK

It was a simple task.  Or so you would think.  


I got out of the car and pushed the zapper button that opened the hatch.  I pushed it twice, just like I was supposed to.  The hatch did not open.  I tried again.  Nope.  I used the button, on the door, and it opened fine.  That means the battery in my zapper needed replaced.  


And so the simple task began.


I always keep a spare battery in the car.  Then I remembered that I had needed a CR2032 for a lamp and used the one out of the car.  I would replace it.  But, I had not replaced it and there was no spare in the battery drawer.  Bless my sweet hubby.  Off he went to the store to find batteries.  


Batteries in hand and the simple task continued.


The package said “now in childproof packaging.”  I am not a child, so this should not take long.  WRONG!  Childproof must define child as anyone under the age of 120.  This getting-closer-to-80 child could not even get the cardboard to tear.  Out came the heavy duty kitchen shears. 


This is no longer considered a simple task!  It is now a challenge and I will win.


I swiftly cut two batteries off the package of six.  One for my zapper and one to put in the car.  I quickly realized cutting the cardboard was the easy part.  Those batteries were sealed in plastic.  AND NOT A SOFT, EASILY CUT PLASTIC!  It took strength to cut through the plastic, but I finally got a battery out and put in the zapper.  Problem solved.


What about the battery for the car in case I was out in the middle of nowhere and the zapper stopped working?  I couldn’t just stick it in the car.  I don’t carry heavy duty shears with me.  I cut the battery out of its plastic bubble.  I put it back in and taped it shut.  It is in the car, just in case and can be easily removed from the now un-childproof container.


A simple task completed.  I feel like I need a gold star.  Or I should have found a four year old and had them get the battery out.  They would have had it out before I could get the scissors.


I hope you could picture this simple task being completed.  I hope you can feel the frustration.  I hope it makes you want to rush out and get a back up battery for your zapper.  I hope it makes you un-childproof the battery before you place it in your car.  Hint:  To easily find your battery, put the un-childproof battery in an envelope and put it in with your registration and proof of insurance.  


Hope this made you smile, because, believe me, I was not smiling as I finally completed a not-so-simple task.


Although, I do believe God was laughing.  I believe He was watching and told Jesus, “I knew one day she would need a battery.  I knew it would be frustrating for her.”


“Then why make it so hard for her to get a simple battery out of the package?” Jesus asked.


God replied, “Mary needed to see she could get through the little frustrations in life so she would understand that she could make it through the big ones.”

No comments: