Friday, August 29, 2008

A BABY BLANKET

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE: PSALM 125:2

As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds his people both now and forevermore.

A BABY BLANKET

Even though I don't get much time to do it, I love to sew. I enjoy watching material being sewn into a creation. This particular baby blanket is for Bradley, born to Kerri, a young lady I have known since she was born. A baby boy -- Oh good, I picked material for a certain sex, not material to make a generic blanket.

The material is selected. The middle section is sewn together and, like always, some seams are not quite straight. Much to the dismay of my teacher of home economics (that is what we called it in the dark ages); I did not rip those seams out. The borders are added. The hem is sewn. The blanket was stitched with love and prayers. The blanket is complete. Ready to keep a Bradley warm on a cold winter's night.

As I put the pieces together to make the blanket, I thought about the future of the baby. How Bradley's life was going to be made up of many different pieces and designs. And how those pieces would be woven together with threads anchored by family and friends. How sometimes, like my seams, those threads would not be straight. And how you backstitch when you sew, sometimes Bradley would go back and forth until he finds the way forward again. The baby blanket is surrounded by a border. The hem on that border is stitched from beginning to end with one continuous thread. That border is like the love of Jesus in this child's life. Jesus love encircles each person and his love, like the thread, is always there - from beginning to end.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Have you ever created something? Maybe not a blanket. Maybe a garden. Or a scrapbook. Or a special cake or meal. Something you put together. Something you watched as the parts/ingredients/seeds changed into a new creation.

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Creator, How amazing it is when projects come together. When what I start with is laid before me. Then organized. Then worked on. Then completed. Is that how you felt as you made the earth? Putting trees here and frogs there. A lake on top of a mountain and a cactus in the dessert. Working until it all fit together. As I create - no matter if it is a blanket, a garden, woodworking or supper - let me create with joy and wonder. Let me thank you for my ability to imagine, to create and let me always remember to lift up in prayer the persons who will receive or enjoy my creation. Amen

No comments: