Friday, March 23, 2007

Although the last post is dated March 6, 2007, I hope you realized there were two new devotionals. I did not know drafts would publish under the draft date, instead of the day they were posted. Live and learn.

A FRIEND GOES HOME

TODAY'S SCRIPTURES:

To you, O Lord, I left up my soul; in you I trust, O my God. Psalm 25:1

Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his: we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Psalm 100:3

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. Psalm 23:1

He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:11

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me. John 10:14

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." John 14:1-4

A FRIEND GOES HOME

February 16, 2007, I asked you to pray for our friends Jim and Barbara. Barbara had ALS and was in need of prayers. Barbara has gone home to be with the Father and is now free of the body that was confining her to a bed and making it hard to breathe. Barbara was a gift to everyone she knew and left each of us a better person.

Barbara was such an inspiration to all who knew her. During the time ALS took her body away from her, it did not stop her from continually being concerned about others. When a friend told Barbara that they were sorry to hear she had ALS, she said, "Better me than someone else." And she meant it! To the end, she was seeing that notes of encouragement were sent to many, many people. To the end, she knew that God had a purpose for her life. To the end, Barbara had a spirit that was a wonder to behold. Barbara was a child of God and His light was reflected in her life. She trusted the shepherd.

Barbara was sure of two things -- God had a plan for her and that she wanted to live that plan. Believe me, a new Saint is watching over all of us!!!!!

My sister, Margaret, sent me a message -- "Your friend has changed your life and, so in her passing, she is not really gone, but continues in the things she has shown you. The things you now show others."

Celebrate each day, because we never know what tomorrow will hand us. I just hope that I can handle what comes my way one-tenth as graciously as Barbara did.

Thank you for reading about my friend.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Do you know someone like Barbara? Someone who puts others first. Someone who has such faith and trust in God's purpose for their life that they can handle the valleys.

When someone dies, where will you turn to help you understand death and grief? A minister can help you understand and show you were to find scriptures that can give comfort. A friend? A book? Max Lucado wrote a book, Safe in the Shepherd's Arms. This book offers hope and encouragement from Psalm 23. Although this book was printed in 2002, most bookstores can order it. Just the title gives comfort. What peace to know we ARE safe in the Shepherd's arms.

LET US PRAY

Dear Shepherd, We are comforted to know that a loved one is home with you. To know their body, mind and soul are whole again. No more pain. No longer confined in a body that is not working properly. For myself, I ask for understanding when a loved one dies and I thank you for the words of hope, compassion and promise of eternal life that I find in Your Holy Word. As I pray, I remember loved ones that have left wonderful memories in my heart. I remember ……………………………….. Amen.

No comments: