Friday, September 02, 2011

IF IT’S BROKE AND USELESS, THROW IT AWAY

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Psalm 68:19

IF IT’S BROKE AND USELESS, THROW IT AWAY

Yes, I know. We have become a throw away society, but give me a break!

A couple weeks ago at church, Joyce asked, “Did you notice we have a new clock in the kitchen?”

We all looked and sure enough, a new clock and it was working. The old clock would stop at odd intervals so someone was always resetting the time. Joyce finally just bought a new one.

She then said, “But I put the old one under the sink.”

I asked, “Why? If it is not working, why didn’t you just throw it away?”

A few days later, Bill and I left on vacation and the first morning he told me his travel razor quit. We decided we would find a Wal-Mart and get a new one. Bill left for his coffee and it was my turn in the bathroom.

There – sitting in the travel case – was the razor that no longer worked! Were we going to haul it all the way back home?

I met Bill downstairs and asked, “Why? If it is not working, why didn’t you just throw it away?”

Yes, I know we have become a throw away society, but we have also become a society that hangs onto things that are no longer of value. Things that are broken and just clutter our lives.

What broken things are you holding onto? What have you stuck under a sink, broken and useless, but taking up space? What have you left in your suitcase, broken and useless, but carrying it everywhere you go?

Our lives are full of burdens and God is more than happy to bear them for us, but we need to remember: IF IT’S BROKE AND USELESS, THROW IT AWAY.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

What broken and useless items, habits and past hurts are you holding onto?

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

Dear Lord, God and Savior, Thank you for bearing my burdens but give me wisdom to look at my life and see the broken, useless parts I need to throw away. The things I need to throw so far that I can no longer retrieve them. Amen

No comments: