Friday, September 16, 2011

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

SCRIPTURES

And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit. -- Ephesians 2:22

In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ – Acts 20:35

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

One simple idea, a quick flash in the brain – But it is a small thing. Is it really worth the trouble? I only have two coupons and it takes five.

That is the way my mind worked one morning as I looked at the coupons our local grocery gave away. When you spent $50 at one time, you received one coupon. Then, when you had collected five, you would receive a $10 gift card. The problem is I only had two tickets and knew there was no way to get three more. What to do? What to do?

Then I thought, “By themselves, my two coupons are worthless, but what if other people at church had one or two they could not use? By themselves mine are no good, but if I could put them with others, we could use them in to help the local food pantry.”

Cliff Notes version: We asked for coupons. We donated $40 to the food pantry. $40 they did not have.

Ephesians tells us we “are being built together” and Acts tells us that we “must help the weak.” As one I could not help, but together we could help the weak. We could help those struggling to make ends meet and in need of assistance with food.

Was this a big help? Not really. $40 will not go far but together, with donations from others, small contributions add up.

I am very thankful that we do not need assistance with food. But there are times I need help. Times when I am weak and when those times arise, I am thankful I know just where to go for help.

Romans 8:26 – In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Where do you turn when you are weak? When you need help? Do you have ideas that could help others but think they are too small?

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

Together. Lord thank you for the opportunity to help others when they are weak. I pray I never think an idea is too small to help.

Together. Lord that is such a comforting word. It means I do not have to go through life alone. I can go through life together. Together with family, friends and sometimes with strangers who want to help me.

Together. Lord that is such a powerful word. It means I do not have to go through life alone. I can go through life together. Together with you. When I am weak, the Spirit knows how to intercede for me. Intercede when I am too weak to even pray.

Amen

No comments: