Friday, August 09, 2019


WHY I GO TO CHURCH

Our Sunday School class discussed going to church.  It got me to thinking – exactly why do I go to church? 

Because:
  • I want to
  • I like the sermons
  • I like the prayers
  • I like taking communion
  • I like the music
  • I like to talk to the church members

I think that covers it.  Or  maybe not.  Last Sunday, the pastor used Psalm 107:28-32 and it helps answer the question.  Let me put those verses this way:

Then I cried out to the LORD in my trouble, and he brought me out of my distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed.
I was glad when it grew calm, and he guided me to my desired haven.
Let me give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for me.
Let me exalt him in the assembly of the people and praise him in the council of the elders.

Haven – a place of safety, a shelter, a sanctuary.  I need a haven.  A haven would be a place where I can breathe, relax, rest.  A place where I can have a feeling of trust and hope and security.  A haven needs to be a place that is solid.  A place that is there 24/7.  A place where I can be honest and open and myself.  A place where I do not have to fit in … rather a place where I am welcomed and valued.

Why do I go to church?  Well – my final haven will be heaven.  I am totally confident in that!!!  Until then, I go to church.

I want to go to church!  It is a desire deep inside me.
I want to hear a sermon!  I want to hear the Word of God preached.  I want to hear a message that makes me think and, occasionally, makes me feel uncomfortable.
I want to join others in prayer!  I want to share joys and I want to unite as a congregation to lift up those with special needs.
I want to take communion!  What an honor to be allowed to take the Bread and the Cup.  How humbling to understand Jesus died for me.
I want to hear the music!  I want to hear hymns that were written 100, 200 years ago and those that were written last week.
I want to greet and talk with people!  People who are believers.  People who are doing the best they can.  People who I trust with my deepest fears and my greatest triumphs.  People who will respect my privacy, while offering prayers on my behalf.  People who realize I will do the same for them.

I attend church because I do not want to forget how to care!

The world is going crazy and we are no longer shocked.  We read a headline and turn the page.  We hear the news and never shed a tear.  The most horrendous acts are part of the latest TV show and we calmly change the channel.  As a town, as a county, as a state, as a country, as a world…we just go on. 

I attend church because I do not want to forget how to care.


No comments: