Friday, January 10, 2020


AND LIFE QUICKLY CHANGES

It happens in a heartbeat.  Life is no longer the life you had.  In a heartbeat, your life will never be the same.

All you have to do is pick up a newspaper, listen to the news, open Facebook, or answer the phone and a tragedy touches your life.  Sometimes we can help with a donation.  Sometimes we can send a card.  Sometimes we can visit.  And, sometimes, sometimes we can ………

I am not sure how to finish, because sometimes there is nothing we can do.  Except realize how valuable and precious life is.

-----------------------------

God, are you listening?

“Of course.  Don’t I always listen?”

Yes, but ‘Hey God’ did not seem the best way to get your attention and I wanted to talk with you.

“Well, you are good at talking so talk away.”

How do we – how do I – prepare when life changes in an instant?  Many years ago, my dad died un-expectantly.  This week, a member of my church family died in a tragic accident.  It is hard.  It hurts.  It is confusing ….

“I could give you a number of Bible verses to look up, but right now I think you need …”

Do you really know what I need?  You are GOD!  The big G!  What I need is …

“What you need is to take a breath and answer me a question. --- Ready? --- Are you afraid?”

Yes. 

“Now we are getting somewhere.  Let’s change directions.  Please look up these verses and then we will continue.”

-----------------------------

Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.     Joshua 1:9

My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.     Psalms 119:28

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.     Isaiah 41:10

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.     Matthew 6:34

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.     2 Corinthians 1:3-4

-----------------------------

“What did you learn?”

My fear is nothing new.  Joshua was afraid after Moses died.  David’s soul was “weary with sorrow.”  You assured the descendants of Abraham that you would strengthen and help them.   

“Don’t forget about my righteous right hand holding you up.”

May I continue?  -- I learned I should not worry about tomorrow.  And…

“And…?”

I learned that because you give me compassion and comfort during my troubles, I can use that gift to comfort others.

“Are you feeling better?”

Do you want me to be honest?

“Of course.  I can handle your anger, your fears, and your honesty.”

I am still afraid.  What if ….

“Mary, my child, -- I love calling you my child – let me ask you another question.  You have no control over what might happen tomorrow or even the next minute, can you apply “what if” to today?  To right now?”

I can try.  What if today I  -- I am thinking – What if today I
  • give a stranger my smile?
  • give a flower to a neighbor?
  • take time to watch the sunset?
  • call a friend?
  • share your comfort?

“You got this.  Keep going.”

What if I tell my family I cherish them?
What if I trust you?

“Bingo.  Better now?”

For now.  If I need you …

“I’m right here.  I’ll listen for you to say, “Hey God.”

-----------------------------

“Gabriel, you can put the 2 X 4 away.  All she needed was to know it would be okay.”

-----------------------------

Tragedies happen so quickly and touch so many lives.  May you find the courage to trust God with your fear, your anger, and your grief.  His love will surround you with a healing strength which will allow you to breathe.  Which, eventually, will allow you to heal through forgotten moments and treasured memories.



No comments: