Friday, January 31, 2020


I JUST NEED A FEW THINGS

I am not a shopper.  There are many things I love to do, but shopping is not one of them.  I enjoy looking around an antique store, but clothes shopping happens, maybe, twice a year.  I like going to wineries, but Target holds no magic.  I enjoy art museums and book stores, but only go to Walmart when absolutely necessary.  If I am in need of material for baby blanket material I can spend a long time matching the border to the main pattern, but I try to be in and out of most stores in the least amount of time as possible.  But sometimes shopping cannot be avoided.

The list is short.  I just need a few things.  It will not take long.  I needed shampoo – oh, look, it is on sale.  Toothpaste – better get a couple new brushes too.  This darn sinus requires Kleenex.  And all those battery operated decorations seem to drain AA batteries as if they were drinking a milkshake – buy two and get one free.  What a deal!  And, just like that, before I even realize it, the cart is full.  What happened?  The list was short.  Honest.  There were only a few things. 

I have a rather vivid imagination – surely the result of no TV until I was around 13, having to visualize the story told on the radio, and reading books.  Lots of books.  Yes, I have an imagination and I can close my eyes and picture Jesus setting up a booth at the Friday morning farmer’s market.  An empty booth!

< < < <   > > > >

Jesus is standing there, under a stripped tent held up by poles, and waiting.  The market will open shortly, but there he stands while all the other merchants are scrambling to set out their fruit and vegetables and pottery and rope.  They all have so much to offer.  And Jesus stands there.  He is nodding to the merchants walking by and they snicker because they see nothing to sell.  The women, with handmade items, walk quickly by and then talk about the strange man at the table.  They whisper, “Is he for real?  Is he waiting on someone to deliver his goods?  Oh, we better get set up.  It is almost time.”

The gates open and --

A child walks right up to Jesus.  Kneeling down, he looks at the child and smiles.  At first the child’s mother is uneasy, but one look into Jesus’ eyes and she knows this man would always cherish her child.  And she trusts.

A young man walked by and Jesus called his name.  The young man looked up and said, “Do I know you?”  You will.  With a bowed head and heavy heart, the young man whispered his greatest fear.  You do not need to worry about tomorrow.  Wait till then.  Tell me how I can help you right now.  And the young man calmly walked away.

A woman slipped from behind Jesus’ tent, looked around, and asked, “Would you have a sip of water for me.  I am very thirsty.”  Of course, but come around here.  “Oh no.  I am a Samaritan…”  It will be okay.  Here…this water will quench your thirst.  After one sip the woman ran away to tell the others.

The elderly man bumped into Jesus.  “I am sorry.  I should have been watching where I was going.”  Maybe you are on the wrong path.  The LORD has a special plan for you and a future.  “For me?  But I am old.  Useless.”  No.  Would you go talk to the young man…the one in the red sandals…red sandals, can you believe what these kids wear today… you are a potter, right?  “Yes, but how did you know?”  The red sandal guy is in need of your skills in his new shop.  “Are you sure…oh, yes.  I will go immediately.”  Changing direction, the elderly man was soon shaking the hand of the kid in the red sandals.

Jesus was taking down his tent and a merchant stopped and asked, “Did you not have anything to sell?”

You are right.  I had not one thing to sell.

“But everyone talked to you.  Were you selling something they had to go pick up?  Or was Amazon delivering?”

Is your house far?  I am going to be your guest tonight.  We need to talk about salvation and how the lost can be saved. 

< < < <   > > > >

Yes, I have a vivid imagination.
But what if…
what if Jesus set up a booth at the local farmer’s market?
What would you find?



Scriptures:  Luke 18:16-17,   Matthew 6:34,   John 4:10,   Jeremiah 29:11, and Luke 19:10

No comments: