Friday, October 30, 2020

 

PRAYING

Yes, I know.  I have written on this before, but, as the song says, “here we go again. 

Am I Praying? is a children’s book written by Jeannie St. John Taylor.  The book is about Erik going to the zoo. 

I jump out of bed in the morning thinking, “It’s going to be a great day, God!  I can’t wait to go to the zoo.”

If I just think it while I’m staring into the mirror brushing my teeth with both eyes wide open…am I praying?

The illustrations are fantastic.


Erik’s day does not go as planned.  His mother dropped him off and he left his lunch in the car.  A kid made fun of him.  He got lost at the zoo.  All day he wondered:  Am I praying:  

  • when I just think it and do not say it out loud?
  • when I am just waiting for God?
  • when I whisper?
  • when I am talking really quietly to God?
  • when I’m too scared to totally trust Jesus?

Erik had a bad day, but the story ended on a happy note.  His mother brought his lunch.  The class found him.  The kid apologized for making fun of him.  Too tired to say a prayer, he closed his eyes as his mother tucked him and his last thought was, “Even if I drift off to sleep and don’t hear the last part of her prayer…I prayed, didn’t I?”

--------------------------------

When I was a kid, we were taught the proper way to pray:  head bowed, hands in the approved prayer position, and full concentration.  Hate to tell you, but my prayers are more like Erik’s.  I often wonder, “Am I praying?”

Is there a proper prayer format?  Matthew 6:5-14 tells us not to be like the hypocrites.  It seems we are to go into a room and pray unseen.  We are not to babble.  We should pray the “Our Father….”

Would I pass the “What Is The Proper Way To Pray” test?  I doubt it. 

I pray while driving.  God and I have had many good conversations, while going down the road.  Is a conversation a prayer?  Sometimes.  Other times it is just a conversation.

I pray while working around the house.  The prayer is usually proceeded by this question:  “Honestly God!  Dust?  Exactly what purpose does dust serve?”  That question leads to a prayer.  “Thank you God that I have a house to clean.  A house filled with love.  Thank you for food in the pantry and a washer and dryer.  Thank you that we have food to eat and clothes to wear.”

Many people say they pray when mowing the yard.  I would love to say I pray when mowing, but I hate to mow.  My prayer is, “Thank you God that hubby likes to mow!”

I pray when my heart hurts and when I have no control over a situation.  During those times, I ask, “How do I pray now?  Lord, I have no more words.  Lord, my mind is a jumble.”  Often, when my heart hurts and when I have no control over a situation, the only prayer I have is “Lord.  Lord.”

Is there a proper way to pray?  Want my opinion?  Yes and no.

NO:  There is no proper physical position to be in.  You can pray with your head bowed and hands in the acceptable position or you can pray with your head turned to the heavens and your hands lifted high.  You can pray in the car, in the recliner, in the kitchen, or on your knees.  You can pray with others or you can go into that room, with the door shut, and pray by yourself.  There is no proper physical position to pray.

YES:  The prayer must be honest.  The prayer must come from your heart.  From your very soul.  The prayer can be shouted or whispered.  The prayer can be so beautiful it is copied and shared on Facebook or it can be spoken between sobs.  Is there a proper way to pray?  Oh, yes!  The prayer must be honest.

BUT – God is open to all forms of prayer.  He will take them short or long.  He will take them in every language.  He will take them from each of his children.  How do you begin?  Bow your head…just kidding.  How do you begin?  Simple!

Hey God.  It’s me, Mary.  Do you have a minute?

“Of course it is you.  I know your voice.  Do I have a minute?  My child, I have eternity.”

No comments: